Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a knocking noise from the top end area . i recently put a new piston in it and fixed a trans problem but the noise was still there , some times at idle and louder at low speed with slight throttle, and the valves are adjusted right. what i would really like to here is that it is normal and to just put ear plugs in, thanks for your time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
think i fixed it , yaa. found a plugged muffler to start. put aftermarket rc pipe on and rejetted it. allso put some 10w30 4 stroke semi synthetic oil in it instead of full synthetic, now she purs like a new quad , no noise at all. i think it was the oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well after sitting a day they noise came back and never left. i gave up and took the vale cover off and inspected everyting really good and found the decomp had a lot of slop in it, so i took it off. so far no more knocking noise,.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I had the same thing happen. One thing to look for is the spring on it. Mine disappeared. I had my engine being worked on and got a call "when did you take the decomp spring off?" Not a question you want to hear when you haven't touched anything:eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have had it with this motor, the noise came back again for a few seconds tonight when i started it, it is definitly a knocking and not a tic, maybe i have an oil preasure problem, i am going to give up soon.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If it goes away after a little bit, I wouldn't worry about it. Starting up cold is just about the worst thing an engine does and they all tend to make funny sounds until oil pressure builds and makes it's way everywhere.

I'm assuming you are using a good oil and filter and that there isn't some kind silicone caulk or something clogging the oil pump. I have to ask because I've seen some terrible pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i started it one more time today wen i got home from work and it knocked for 20 minutes before i shut it of. i think im going to do a motor swap from a atc that i have in peaces. i will send pics

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i took it apart again, i looked at the oil pump and it looked chewed up, i had a nother one from a parts motor that looked new so i put it in we will see how that works

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, this is my last try, took the top end back off and measured everything, i have too flat cams and my piston is undersized, i am going to put to new/used cams in and bore it out and put a new piston in it, that better fix it ,i hope

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. put new piston , and 2 cams in my mojave last. it started right up. no noise yet. hopefully it stays thet way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts