Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm new to this site but i have a 2003 Kawasaki Mojave that idk whats wrong with...the quad starts and idle's perfectly but as soon as i give a lil throttle it bogs out and stalls..i've takin out the carb took it apart and cleaned it but same problem...does anyone know what could be wrong..ill take anything at this point...i want to at least ride once in the snow B) Please & Thankz

·
Registered
2 Posts
try adjusting all your valves to specifications with a filler gauge. i have found out that after so much of the engines torque my valves were tii far down and being blocked also check your air flow system and make sure there arent any leaks/lose fittings if its not an air or a valve problem clean out the fuel tank and the gas switch and see if your getting enough gas into your carb

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Check the valves to be sure, but normally when the valves tighten up, it doesn't like to start.

By cleaned the carb, do you mean sprayed it out or have you actually removed the jets (one at a time) and poked something through if needed? Old junk from gas can be pretty hard.

Sometimes mine will bog a little after starting when it sits for too long. I use the choke so it will rev up and then give it a little throttle. It almost feels like something opens up and it runs fine. That's usually my clue to clean it good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jmane alright thankz and ill try that 2marrow and c how it works out hopefully that does the trick and what exactly do you mean by adjusting my valves to specifications with a filler gauge?

and Mojave Magic yes i took each jet out one at a time and sprayed it with GUM OUT carb + choke cleaner.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
He meant a feeler gauge. Like this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940804000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Tools&Equipment=&sName=Automotive%20Specialty%20Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IAx20090815x000001&aff=Y&origin=prod

If you're stock, .008 on the intake and exhaust valves is what they get set too. If you need more information, let me know and I can scan the page from the service manual. Or if you are close enough and don't feel up to it, bring it by me and I'll do it and show you how. I'm assuming you meant North Rockland in your profile, that's only about 50 minutes away from me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankz thats a wonderful suggestion, but unfortunately my dads truck is out of order and unable to transport my quad anywhere :(. If you would like he is willing to pick you up and bring you down to our garage, and if its ok we can schedule a date after the holidays. Breakfast Lunch and Dinner included. lol

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Here's some pictures.

The first two show the six bolts that come off to remove the valve cover. The top four don't get tightened much more than hand tight.

The next two show the plastic plugs that unscrew to view the timing marks. Under the big one you can use a 14mm deep socket to turn the engine over until the little mark shows in the small hole at the top.

If you can't find the timing mark, the fifth picture shows how the two dots on the cam gears should look.

The next 2 pictures show the 4 adjuster for the valves. Usually the intakes are the only ones that tighten up, but I always check them all while it is open. For stock, set them to .008 for intake and exhaust.

The last one shows where you slide the feeler gauge to set them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
nice example pics. I forgot i also had a problem similar when my exhaust melted my stock air box so check all of the seals for the intake and see if they are all tight fits, could still be a gas problem so try adjusting the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb while its running and see if you can get it running right, its easier to tilt the carb sideways and adjust it out or to the left for more gas. good luck

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm assuming you let it warm up all the way. Does it do the same thing with the choke on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
try takeing the gas cap off, mine did the same thing when it got hot, it turned out it was allmost vapor locking i guess, the vent in the cap was plugged whith mud,

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys are amazing. My girls Mojave wouldnt start unless it was towed. Because of the pictures and the know how from everyone here it started on the first kick. THANKS!!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'll have to re-upload the pictures. Not sure why it deleted them. We always tell people to search before asking a question and then the site goes and deletes old pictures? Seems kind of backwards to me.

I'll see if I can find them on my computer.

Tight intake valves are a common cause of hard starting, so definitely check that after I get a chance to redo the pictures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You measure .008 with a feeler gauge. Another problem which caused a lot of problems was my carb. The butterfly wore out the bore. You could notice light coming in around the butterfly with it held
Up to light. Something to check

1 - 20 of 23 Posts