Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I should have posted this earlier but this winter I got the mojave out to play in the snow and so me and my brother could pull each other on sleds. It hasn't been starting good at all for a while, in fact it has to be pull started because it just will not kick start.
But after we got it started it was running fine. I did run it through a lot of snow that was probably too deep but all it did was melt the snow off of the skid plates. After we sledded some my little brother got tired so I decided to have a little fun before retiring it back to the shed. I took off down the road for about a mile or two, or that was the plan.
I went all the way up through the gears and then I kept having this issue that after I got to the top of a gear I would loose power, and kept having the same issue until I shifted down into second gear. I determined that 1st and 2nd gears work fine, but any of he higher gears will not keep power. I really hope I didn't do something major like messing up something important.
After discussing it my dad thinks it might be the fuel filter is too plugged up and is restricting he flow once I open it up. No sure if that is the case or not.
Any ideas what it could be?

Any typos are purely the result of using a touchscreen to type this entire message, it tends to place random periods in random spots too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It could be many things. Start with simple. Go through the carb and make sure its all clean. All passages and orfices are open. Youll need compressed air. Im not aware of a fuel filter on these mine doesnt have one. I do believe there is a screen on the petcock feed remove that from the tank and clean that up. Then from there check your valve adjustment. I believe its 0.008" i dont have it written in front of me. It could also be your timing has jumped. Youll know if thats happened when you go to set your valves cause none of your marks will line up. This is all simple stuff if you have a manual. Its tells you how to do it all step by step

God created the internal combustion engine to keep the truly talented from ruling the world.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would definitely start as Backwoods said and take that carb off and clean it. It's not difficult to do and only costs you some time and a can of carb cleaner. Make sure all the ports and jets are clear. When gas sits awhile it turns into what I call varnish. A quick check would be to open up the overflow screw on the bottom of the carb bowl and see if any gas comes out. If nothing comes out, either your float is stuck or the gas has gouped up on you. Either way, you'll be cleaning the carb.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, well I may end up doing that when I get back home. I'm actually at college right now so most of the time I only get to go home on the weekends.
I don't think I actually have the manual but I will look online for one that I can print off. Need to learn how to do more maitainance on my mojave anything so this should be a good learning experience I hope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the problem with it not wanting to kick start but could pull start it and it didn't want to idle unless I set it high. So I adjusted my valves to .008 with a feeler gauge and it will start at a max of 3 kicks (if I haven't started it all week) now.
Not sure about the rest other than to pull the carb apart and making sure that all the holes in the jets are clean and open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts