Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put newa a piston and rings in my bike and i marked my timing chain and cams before i tore it down and when i put it back together the valves were hitting the piston does this have to do with timing????

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Here's where your cams should be when the little timing mark is visible. See both pictures below. Picture 1 is the mark you should see after removing the inspection plug. Picture 2 shows how the dots on the cams should face when the timing mark is visible.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Glad to hear it.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
I cant wait to get mine back together to see if it runs. Hey Magic, Once you see the mark will it be on the comp stroke? Or will you just half to feel of the spark plug hole?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm not sure what stroke it's on. I never really paid attention to that, just where to put all the marks. I can look in the manual later to see if it says.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
It shouldn't be off, unless you took it apart and didn't line them up.

The only other way for it to get off, is if the cam chain jumps the sprocket teeth.....then you probably have other problems also

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Mine was a bitch to get right when I put it back together. The crank was perfect and as I added tension to the cam chain it would turn the crank just a hair! I think it maybe off just a hair also but there was nothing else I could do to get it where I needed it. Only adjustment you could do was move a link on the cams and a link either way was too much.:mad: Anyhow it cant be off too much. Now I need to tune the carb on it:D

Kawasaki Mojave 250! Toewad Video by Jordan - MySpace Video

·
Registered
15 Posts
the chain DOES jump teeth. i noticed something jumping once in awhile while trying to kick-start it. i took the head cover off to look at things and saw that chain was loose. i'll adjust the tensioner - that should stop it from jumping, right?
also, i can't find the mark in the inspection window to know when the camshaft marks are lined up. what does it look like?

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
It will have a T in there and a little groove in the flywheel. Then there will be a circle that goes in the notch at the top of the plug. Once that mark is in the notch then your exhaust cam should be at 9:00 with the dot right even with the top of the head. The intake cam will be 3 degrees up from the head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't find the groove at all. very frustrating.
However, i think i've figured out the source of my original problem. i remember the kick-starter jumping one time and it never started after that. i didn't realize at the time that it was the cam sprockets jumping on the chain, so now my timings way off.
new problem - getting the marks all lined up and tightening the chain with a maxed-out tensioner!! any tricks, ideas, or advise?

·
Registered
387 Posts
KFXHELLRASIER seems to have a fix for that that i you and another guy on the forum seem to need to do to our tensinor. He makes a manual one that gives you more length

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cam Jump

I noticed my cams were also jumping on my mojave when i was disassebling it to do the gaskets. As i tried to get the engine to TDC the timing marks on the cam gears would never line up right. The exhaust cam would end up being around 11 o'clock and the intake around 2 o'clock. What is the fix for the cam jumping??? I need this asap as the engine is going back together soon. Thanks!!

J

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Cam jumping means your chain is loose. Sounds like its time for a new timing chain and tensioner. Exhaust cam should be at 9:00 and Intake side should be at 3 degrees above 3:00.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts