Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I ran a new personal distance record for one day's travel. I also let it run on the last blinking bar on the gauge for longer than I ever have. When I finally got into town and found a non ethanol pump, my trip meter said 83.3 miles. The blinking bar started blinking at 75.
I pumped gas into it until it was full, and it said 3.7 gallons were used.
That means several interesting things:
1. I knocked down 22 mpg, which is a new record for this machine. I also did not baby it. I was doing 50 to 60 mph for several long stretches, and I had to open several gates while it was idling. If I'd taken it more easy, I might have got 24 or 25 mpg. Makes me wonder how much of this improvement I'm seeing was a direct result of installing the rear piston correctly. When it was in backwards working against the offset wristpin, it must've been bleeding off efficiency.

2. My fuel tank is smaller than what the book says it is, or, the blinking bar has a deep reserve. I rode around with it blinking for quite awhile, and it only took 3.7 gallons. I have never come close to being able to put 4.5 gallons in it. And the Brutes are supposed to have 5 gallon tanks, right?
In any case, the blinking bar must be worth nearly a gallon all on it's own.

3. Total mileage for the day was 169 miles. That's with no power steering, and on a SRA.
And I wish my seat was softer!馃槅

Reactions: mastrblastr

Registered
Mine SUCKS fuel. I mean SUCKS!! It sucks.

Super Moderator
Man I'd be a little worried about being lean. Those numbers are better then even most EFI machines. But nothing says it can't be if the efficiency was improved dramatically. The best my Brute got was about 14 and it was on-the-line lean. My friend with a 2012 Brute only got about 18....of course we are at 6-9500 feet mostly. Oh, and my flashing bar came on when it got down to 7/10s of a gallon.

Kenny yours should get between 16 and 20 mpg avg. Everyone else's does.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I've tested the 135/138 combo (which is the next step up from what I have in it right now for both cylinders), and I barely could make it around my block at 4800 feet. Sputtered and bogged down like crazy. The best combo seemed to be 130/135, but I decided to throw the 132 back in the front to play it safe for when I ride near Vegas in the winter.

Registered
Kenny yours should get between 16 and 20 mpg avg. Everyone else's does.
It probably averages 14 on a good day. I have seen 16 a few times.
12 is probably closer.

It just LOVES gasoline. LOL

Super Moderator
It probably averages 14 on a good day. I have seen 16 a few times.
12 is probably closer.

It just LOVES gasoline. LOL
That just sucks...my old carbed 750 averaged better then your new EFI machine. There there's Kickstart..kick'n both our azz's on an even OLDER machine. :) Well at least I can say my Z is in the 22-24mpg range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
That just sucks...my old carbed 750 averaged better then your new EFI machine. There there's Kickstart..kick'n both our azz's on an even OLDER machine. :) Well at least I can say my Z is in the 22-24mpg range.
Lol! My Wolverines don't have odometers, but I know I can go well over 100 miles on a tank of gas. They have 3.5 gallon tanks with .5 gallon reserves.

Registered
A friend of mine let me ride a new 2012 750i SE for a while and it got about the same as what I get so I knew it was going to be thirsty before I bought it.

Another friend had a 2014 CanAm 800 Max with a 5 gal tank and he could get 120 miles out of a tank of gas. That's just about 25 mpg. His new 850 Max doesn't do quite as well.

Had a guy on The Big Ride one year that had a Arctic Cat 400 and he got 26-27 mpg and it had a 6.5 gal tank. That's a range close to 170 miles. o_O But then its still an AC 400. LOL

I never leave home without extra gas. LOL

With my winter tires on it and riding a little more aggressively I get about 50 miles out of a tank of gas. :mad:

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Had a guy on The Big Ride one year that had a Arctic Cat 400 and he got 26-27 mpg and it had a 6.5 gal tank. That's a range close to 170 miles. o_O But then its still an AC 400. LOL
I have a buddy with one of those AC400s. Last summer, we did a big loop ride from Sheep Creek to Hobble Creek to Daniel's Summit and back. It was 105 miles if I remember correctly. I had to stop and add 2 gallons along the way. I never saw him stop so when we got back to the trucks, I walked over and looked at his gas gauge. He was only one bar below half!馃槸 I couldn't believe it. Then he tells me that he didn't even start with a full tank! 馃く
Amazing.

Reactions: rubiranch

Super Moderator
I have a buddy with one of those AC400s. Last summer, we did a big loop ride from Sheep Creek to Hobble Creek to Daniel's Summit and back. It was 105 miles if I remember correctly. I had to stop and add 2 gallons along the way. I never saw him stop so when we got back to the trucks, I walked over and looked at his gas gauge. He was only one bar below half!馃槸 I couldn't believe it. Then he tells me that he didn't even start with a full tank! 馃く
Amazing.
My Yamaha Wolverine 350 was like that. Held like 2.5-gallons but you could run for days on that. Not much fun though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
My Yamaha Wolverine 350 was like that. Held like 2.5-gallons but you could run for days on that. Not much fun though.
You had a Wolvy 350 too?! Cool! I've got a '99 and a '01 still. Both blue. I put the 4x4 disconnect pin in the '01. That doubled it's mileage and made it able to power slide, but you're right, it's still no where near as much fun to ride as the Kawie. But there's a couple trails I know of that I will pick the Wolvy over the Prairie because of it's size and weight. It will go up stuff not many other ATVs can.

Super Moderator
You had a Wolvy 350 too?! Cool! I've got a '99 and a '01 still. Both blue. I put the 4x4 disconnect pin in the '01. That doubled it's mileage and made it able to power slide, but you're right, it's still no where near as much fun to ride as the Kawie. But there's a couple trails I know of that I will pick the Wolvy over the Prairie because of it's size and weight. It will go up stuff not many other ATVs can.
Yeah...it was blue too and I also put the front end disconnect in it. Wow. Think I have a pic around here somewhere...
Yeah took this the day I brought the Brute home.

Registered
I wish mine got better mileage but it is what it is.

Registered
Probably just a slightly leaking injector. Ben that way sense new.
When I change the plugs they're both the same color. Darker than I think they should be.

Doug had a new 2016 and he was averaging 16 mpg and he's pretty light on the throttle.

I do live at 6200 ft and everything is up from here.

Super Moderator
When I change the plugs they're both the same color. Darker than I think they should be.

Doug had a new 2016 and he was averaging 16 mpg and he's pretty light on the throttle.

I do live at 6200 ft and everything is up from here.
Maybe that's it. I guess as long as she's doing you right, we shouldn't worry about it. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts