Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Mpg, tank size, and efficiency

4K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  rubiranch 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, I ran a new personal distance record for one day's travel. I also let it run on the last blinking bar on the gauge for longer than I ever have. When I finally got into town and found a non ethanol pump, my trip meter said 83.3 miles. The blinking bar started blinking at 75.
I pumped gas into it until it was full, and it said 3.7 gallons were used.
That means several interesting things:
1. I knocked down 22 mpg, which is a new record for this machine. I also did not baby it. I was doing 50 to 60 mph for several long stretches, and I had to open several gates while it was idling. If I'd taken it more easy, I might have got 24 or 25 mpg. Makes me wonder how much of this improvement I'm seeing was a direct result of installing the rear piston correctly. When it was in backwards working against the offset wristpin, it must've been bleeding off efficiency.

2. My fuel tank is smaller than what the book says it is, or, the blinking bar has a deep reserve. I rode around with it blinking for quite awhile, and it only took 3.7 gallons. I have never come close to being able to put 4.5 gallons in it. And the Brutes are supposed to have 5 gallon tanks, right?
In any case, the blinking bar must be worth nearly a gallon all on it's own.

3. Total mileage for the day was 169 miles. That's with no power steering, and on a SRA.
And I wish my seat was softer!😆

See less See more
Reactions: mastrblastr
#3 ·
Man I'd be a little worried about being lean. Those numbers are better then even most EFI machines. But nothing says it can't be if the efficiency was improved dramatically. The best my Brute got was about 14 and it was on-the-line lean. My friend with a 2012 Brute only got about 18....of course we are at 6-9500 feet mostly. Oh, and my flashing bar came on when it got down to 7/10s of a gallon.

Kenny yours should get between 16 and 20 mpg avg. Everyone else's does.

#4 ·
I've tested the 135/138 combo (which is the next step up from what I have in it right now for both cylinders), and I barely could make it around my block at 4800 feet. Sputtered and bogged down like crazy. The best combo seemed to be 130/135, but I decided to throw the 132 back in the front to play it safe for when I ride near Vegas in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.