Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote this out once but my modem crashed just as I hit post so here goes again.
Ok. So I have a friend who races in the ATV MX series....Or whatever the hell its called. Anyway he called me this weekend and said he had a Hare Scramble race at Jeeps which is the local MX track. I said hey that's great! I'll come watch. He said, Hey there's an open class you can join in and race with. I said there's no way. I have a 4 wheel drive Brute Force 650. Not a hopped up race quad like everyone else! So what'd I do? I went and did it anyway! Oh I got lots of odd looks and some laughs before the race. That lasted up until the race started. When the flag dropped they weren't laughing anymore! Ok. I didn't win by any means. Of course my friend Zach did.... He always does.... But the fact is I didn't get last! I kept up with them big boys jumping just as high, sliding around corners, and going just as fast over the rythm section!!! I even got the hole shot for a good ways starting out in 4 wheel drive Low! I have never raced before let alone jump my BONE STOCK brute force or any other atv. I thought with all the laughing and finger pointing I had better put all inhabitions out the window and go balls to the wall. And accounting for as sore as I am today, the dirt roll I took after a jump gone awry, and the shifter I broke off with my knee........ It was the most fun I have ever had and totally worth it! I gave them boys a run for their money on a utility quad with absolutely no race experience whatsoever and I still took 12th out of 14!!! I am so proud of how my quad performed I just wanted to share with you all. Thanks for reading. I am proud as hell!!!

P.s I still have a jetting issue with it. It's lean in the rear primary jet.

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Sounds like fun!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I wrote this out once but my modem crashed just as I hit post so here goes again.
Ok. So I have a friend who races in the ATV MX series....Or whatever the hell its called. Anyway he called me this weekend and said he had a Hare Scramble race at Jeeps which is the local MX track. I said hey that's great! I'll come watch. He said, Hey there's an open class you can join in and race with. I said there's no way. I have a 4 wheel drive Brute Force 650. Not a hopped up race quad like everyone else! So what'd I do? I went and did it anyway! Oh I got lots of odd looks and some laughs before the race. That lasted up until the race started. When the flag dropped they weren't laughing anymore! Ok. I didn't win by any means. Of course my friend Zach did.... He always does.... But the fact is I didn't get last! I kept up with them big boys jumping just as high, sliding around corners, and going just as fast over the rythm section!!! I even got the hole shot for a good ways starting out in 4 wheel drive Low! I have never raced before let alone jump my BONE STOCK brute force or any other atv. I thought with all the laughing and finger pointing I had better put all inhabitions out the window and go balls to the wall. And accounting for as sore as I am today, the dirt roll I took after a jump gone awry, and the shifter I broke off with my knee........ It was the most fun I have ever had and totally worth it! I gave them boys a run for their money on a utility quad with absolutely no race experience whatsoever and I still took 12th out of 14!!! I am so proud of how my quad performed I just wanted to share with you all. Thanks for reading. I am proud as hell!!!

P.s I still have a jetting issue with it. It's lean in the rear primary jet.
You gotta be proud of yourself, and GREAT job. Having raced for years locally {moto / NESC}, I know how competitive things can get and what it takes to run something different. I had the ONLY 1981 KX420 against a field of CR500's, YZ490's, KTM's, Husky's, etc........and let's just say that I didn't loose either....rather quite the opposite. Makes 'ya feel great!!!!Kudos for having the balls......:)

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
next time, start out in 4x4 high instead of low and you will be looking back to see where they are at... good deal on the race........ now you have the bug dont you..:D

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
that's awesome man!!!

all year long the top ute's outrun the sport classes in our district (23)

now that you know what you're up against it, you can shoot for top 3

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well yeah I am pretty proud of myself! And i don't know about next time. Holy shit I am sore!!! It's going on the 3rd day since the race and I can still barely move! I might though. There's a massacre in Febuary that might actually have a utility class so I may then. I don't know though. I do kinda feel the bug but I have to be careful. What with my diesel hobby and custom rifle habit I don't think my wife would be happy with me picking up another costly habit.:rolleyes: I will though next time put it in high. I did beat a couple of them in straight aways which I was pretty surprised about. I bet I'd do even better if I had a cdi and some better shocks. I think my rear shock needs recharged.... Oh and if my carbs were set right. Boy them guys had everything going for them didn't they! Oh well. Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I guess I'm young. I'm 21. I think being married makes me feel old!:lol: As far as being hurt no I'm not having any long lasting affects but my god I was sore for a few days. I am going to get my carbs set right, my rear shock recharged, and a dyna cdi before I do it again in February. I also got an offer to use a friend's race bike for the next one. But I told him, "Friends don't let friends ride Yamaha's"!!:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts