Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished my set of front/rear tires for ice/snow for when I play on the lake at a friend's house. They do mostly drag racing so I figured snowmobile studs would work the best for the rear instead of the Turf Tamers with screws that I had originally set up (especially if there is any snow on top of the ice). Each of the rear tires has 56 carbide-tipped Woody's Gold Digger snowmobile studs (that I sharpened before installing). The front tires each have 120 Pro Gold ice screws in them.

Finally found something good to use the stock Holeshot tires for! :lol: :D

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
looks awesome but... you will push big time in the corners. it will be a good straight line machine....

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't ever been out on the ice with my friends yet but, after talking to them more about it, they told me that they mostly do drag racing on the ice and not so much oval or circle racing so I figured this would be the best. I like drag racing more anyway. :D

I had bought some wheel spacers for the front & rear and the front tires are mounted on reverse offset wheels making it 5" wider than stock but now I don't think I will need them since we will be doing mostly straight line. I will probably sell the spacers (1.5" front & 2.5" rear).

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
are the rear honda bolt pattern? i might be interested in them

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, they are the 4x137 Kawie pattern. I am still waiting for the front spacers to show up.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
one thing for sure is that thing will rip up some ice....

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope so! :D

I wish I would have had those rear tires set up for the "grass" drags I went to on December 5th. It snowed that morning so there was about 2" of snow on frozen ground.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Your gonna need a wheelie bar even with the +4 swinger guarantee it your gonna get way to much traction. You might even end up smoking your belt.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your gonna need a wheelie bar even with the +4 swinger guarantee it your gonna get way to much traction. You might even end up smoking your belt.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. There will really only be 4-6 studs per tire in contact with the ice at any given time. On dirt it may be a problem but on ice/snow I think I will still be able to spin them

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
more info on the studs....
link....
what's the chance of them making the carcass kinda fold????

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are size 1.075 Woody's Gold Digger carbide-tipped snowmobile studs (you have heard of snowmobiles, right monkey?:lol:). The actual overall length is 1.485". The tires I put these studs in had about 1/2" of tread remaining and the studs stick out past the knobs by 5/8" - 3/4". I bought used studs off craigslist because they are so expensive. Expect to pay $200+ for new studs/nuts/backers.

http://www.sled-parts.com/woodys/application_tips.bmp

The most common brands of snowmobile studs are Woody's and Stud Boy if you want to do a Google search.

The stiffness of the tire is part of the reason I used my stock Holeshot tires since they are a flat profile and very stiff (6 ply). I put some thin, flexible fiberglass (indestructible) matting in the tire and then a tube. At 10 psi, you can't really flex the studs by hand at all.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
Thanks for the info....yeah I had already checked em out about a month ago. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the price

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I had bought a total of 216 of them used off craiglist for $85 a couple of weeks ago and just sold the remaining 104 for $60 tonight. :D

So are you trying to come up with a "secret weapon" for your Monkey Mayhem? I bet with the right set of tires and the right length & quantity stud they would hook like crazy. I got some photos of a snomo-quad with custom-cut 25" Turf Tamers with snowmobile studs that I will post later. The tires are BADASS as well as the quad they are isntalled on.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I'd like to see that pic too Twyztid.

I'll be studding my 22" Realtors later today and post pics when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
toolman, did you ever get those 25" Realtors?

Someone else on this forum emailed me these pictures and a friend of mine knows this guy. I guess this quad has an Arctic Cat fuel-injected 2-stroke that is bored out to around 1100cc. I was told he showed up for some snowmobile ice drags and beat every sled except for one. :eek:

I can't believe the size of that rear sprocket! It has to be 16"-18" diameter because those rear tires are 25" Turf Tamers.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The colors of that quad remind me of something that Monkey would ride! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
still no on the Realtors...but haven't given up all hope.

The ass of that Arctic Cat looks very familiar...but there's one in my garage, so that would be why :D

that quad looks sick...and I bet it hauls ass. I should have mine on the lake over new years.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I hope you get something worked out on the 25" Realtors.

We may be heading out on the ice next weekend (a little over a week away). It will be a first for me. I am sure it will be fun. :D

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
wow that is sick lookin, love it

And yes to that twyztid :)

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow that is sick lookin, love it

And yes to that twyztid :)
Yes to the "secret weapon"? If so, PM me.

I work for a tire company and can get the Turf Tamers for a reasonable price. I think you would need a tire like that to be stiff enough to keep the studs from flexing. They are about 5 lbs heavier than the Cheng Shins that everyone uses for dirt the Cheng Shins are only 2ply and the studs would probably rip right out. I could make a set just like the ones in the above pictures with all of the shaved knobs and everything. We have all the tools to do the job.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts