Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what equations they use to design new a-arms? I am a CNC machinist and have access to the equipment to make them to exceed oem but need the formula to make + sizes thank you. ps I will be using chromoly

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Just think about changing the ball joint location, move it out 2" or 3" what ever you prefer, and some are 1" forward, meaning away from the rider. This is where the +2+1 comes from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So all that is done is relocating the ball joints at the factory angles +2, the change is the same on lower and upper? Why would you want to move it forward or backward? Thank you sir.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Your angles of the tubing is going to change but pay close attention to the ball joint socket angle in relation to the tubing, don't want your ball joints to lock out while riding.
Here is a pic of my +4+1's that I built.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for info and pics! Why do you put the bend in the lowers? Is it for ground clearance? Did you use chromoly? what did you do for the rear...new axle or wheel spacers? thank you for your time

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
thanks for info and pics! Why do you put the bend in the lowers? Is it for ground clearance? Did you use chromoly? what did you do for the rear...new axle or wheel spacers? thank you for your time
The bend in the lower a-arms is for the longer shocks (kfx450r), the tubing is 1"od .065 wall dom mild steel. The upper a-arms have slight bends also, if you do the +1 forward you will need to bend the back tube a bit to clear the shock. For the axle it is a durablue extended axle, not sure where your gonna get one though. I got 2 of them from east coast atv but I called a few weeds ago and they said they ran out and durablue does not make them any more.

Here is another set of +3's I built.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again for the reply. I noticed you are using a screw in connection on the upper arms to the frame, who makes them and what is the advantage. how much did those shocks set you back? how much longer are they than stock? Could you use any other shocks? Thanks again for answering my Q's.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
thanks again for the reply. I noticed you are using a screw in connection on the upper arms to the frame, who makes them and what is the advantage. how much did those shocks set you back? how much longer are they than stock? Could you use any other shocks? Thanks again for answering my Q's.
The rod ends on the uppers allows for camber adjustment and with the small spacers I use I can also adjust the caster angle by moving the arm forward or back. Here is a link for the rod ends QS Components Inc. Quality Racing Rod End & Components and here is a link for the weld in bung QS Components Inc. Quality Racing Rod End & Components.

I would really recommend honda shocks over the kawie shocks. The honda shocks will be more narrow at the top and easier to make fit, I had to make a new upper shock mount for the kawie 450 shocks. The shocks I was using where works tripple rates for a 400ex or 250r but I really wanted shocks with a piggy back reservior. The second set of pics had a set of works dual rates for a lt250r.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also...do you know the length of tube it took to build your arms? thanks again. did you use stock style mounts for ball joints or made to accept aftermarket? thanks

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Also...do you know the length of tube it took to build your arms? thanks again. did you use stock style mounts for ball joints or made to accept aftermarket? thanks
Not real sure how much it took. I cut the stock ball joint sockets off of the stock a-arms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts