Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been doing a lot of reading on this, and it seems like its a carb issue... Pilot jets? here is what I got....

Totally stock engine Vforce, no mods at all. Problem is, from a cold start, choke it, starts up great, take off some choke to bring the Rs down after about 10 sec, itll start to run rough so I take it off all the way. Now, sometimes Ill have to rev it to keep it running (sometimes itll stall after idling for about 30sec-1min) sometimes not. BUT, Im getting a slight hiss/hiccup back through the intake every so often. Now, it seems to go away after its warm and been run for 30min+, but it will still do it from time to time at idle, and less than 1/4 throttle. Its just a hiccup, or a brief hiss of air back through the intake it seems.

Just want to get it running right for her, she loves this machine, and so do I!!!!

Her and the V

My machine

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Really sounds like the valves need to be adjusted. These bikes run like that when the valves get out of spec.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked em at 20 hrs, spot on then... think she's at 85 now, I would think they should still be good?

She just said its been doing it for over a year now off and on, I know it did it at hatfield last year on our honeymoon...

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
check the intake boots for looseness/leaks

then pull the carbs apart

pilot jets you need to remove and blow out with compressed air and then check to make sure they are clear, they have a very small orifice.

Like her V, nice color

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check the intake boots for looseness/leaks

then pull the carbs apart

pilot jets you need to remove and blow out with compressed air and then check to make sure they are clear, they have a very small orifice.

Like her V, nice color

Ha, thanks man... not as shiny as yours though, looks good! I saved a pic of yours off some other site a while back. She needs a new front clip, busted the fenders on both sides, rolled it twice now but she just keeps getting back on it.

The mix scews, any advice on those? If the boots/pilots/mix screws are all set ok, would there be any other adjustment to be made.... I read something about shimming something. Would that need to be done on a totally stock V????

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
being stock, all the carb settings should be fine as it came from the factory.

It's gonna be kinda trail and error. Do the easy first, which is check for intake leaks....where the intakes bolt to the heads, then where the carbs clamp into the boots, then check the small vacuum line that goes from the front intake boot to the fuel petcock.

Then pull the carbs apart and clean them thoroughly.

if still no help, then check the valves again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll pull it apart sunday and get back with ya, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe a long shot but make sure your choke plungers are not getting stuck. There isn't much room for error in there.

X

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Monkeyboy is lying.. Deep down he can't understand why we get these machines dirty and everytime he sees a dirty one, he runs into the garage and polishes his even more.. The quad that is.

I'm leaning toward chokes. but the way she described it, it sounded like a valve issue.. Although mine was kind of doing the same thing that weekend his was.. I posted in the other thread about missing when cold.. Blak, well his wife is the one I'm referring to.

Blak, I have a new stock carbs that I took off the machine after 1-2months of riding.. With the Airbox still attached.. We could swap those. Or even try different Choke cables to check that. I pretty much have extras of everything except a rear axle and swingarm..

He said something about having the carbs adjusted at the dealership? Thats why I was leaning toward a choke/carb issue.. Could be dirt in there too, cloggin it up.. But I beliee the issue went away once warmed up. Which points to valves..

Takes more than 30sec to min to warm up these motors though..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Cold weather is playing hell on a lot of folks.Leave choke on for couple minutes and let it warm up.I would wait for 10 minutes or so before i would attempt to ride.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
Monkeyboy is lying.. Deep down he can't understand why we get these machines dirty and everytime he sees a dirty one, he runs into the garage and polishes his even more.. The quad that is.
:D:D:D

hey ya PK :wub:

good to see ya again

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Cold weather is playing hell on a lot of folks.Leave choke on for couple minutes and let it warm up.I would wait for 10 minutes or so before i would attempt to ride.
Yep. I always do the same. If I try to go before it has warmed up, it will do exactly as buddy describes... but not even a hiccup after it's warm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
intake leak?

Just spray some carb cleaner or other flammable type spraycan around your intake..I usually use a cleaner so I am cleaning while checking for a leak..if the engine idles faster then you know it sucked in some of the spray and you have a leak...otherwise, no change in rpm, you don't have a leak.....works a lot better then taking things apart for no reason...

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
Open the pilot screws 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn more. That should pretty much fix it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts