Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 1986 Tecate from a guy with a small shop off the corner of the local transmission shop in Mesa Arizona. He wrote up a bill of sale on one of the Tranny shop's service papers, NO TITLE. I've been riding this thing for years but local laws have changed and require me to apply for a decal to ride in the state riding spots. PROBLEM -- NO Title ! DAM IT !!!! I went to apply for a title at the local DMV but they couldnt help me because there isnt a VIN number up on the neck. The bike was rescently powercoated white before I purchased it and I didnt notice this.

I am looking for some advise on how to go about titleing this bike in Arizona.

OR.......

Purchase another 1986-1987 Title and claim it as the title for my bike ??!!

OR......

Purchase another frame only with matching Title ??!!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Maybe try and scratch the powder coat off on the neck to make the vin visible. The 3 wheeler vin #'s where stamped a little better than the 4 wheeler #'s so it should be there under the powder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Take a razor blade and on the ,As you sit on the bike, In the middle of the left side of the neck cut a rectangle about 1/4" wide and 4' long down the side of it the just use a screw driver to peel the powder coat off . it takes some work it was done right . Then after you finish buy a can of Duplicolor Engine Enamel "clear" and spray over it so it doesn't rust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
you can also try to claim a self built home made deal this works as well. it may not say tecate on it. You also have to stamp a vin they give you in the bike i never did it but i have heard of other doing it. It would be alot of hassle and buying another frame might be easier unless you don't mind the paper work shuffle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone !!

I went out and took the headlight out and chemically removed the powdercoating and founf a faint VIN #. Its 17 characters long ......is that right ?!

Ill have to go and get it re-inspected and see if I have any luck now !

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you mask off the frame and use aircraft stripper the powder coat will peal right off. I've done it on a few frames it works great and less hassle trying to scrap it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mine statrs off JKAXTMB.............followed by more numbers. The eighth character is either a 1 or T can you tell me if that character is suposed to be a letter or number.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If yours is an 86 it would be a 1. 84 and 85 KXT's where A model bikes 85 and 86 where B model bikes. Hence the B in the vin range its really hard to find alot of good info on the older stuff now. If your local dealer has been around for ever and has the old service books you should hit them up and see if they will sell em to you. Also check out the guys over here at www.3wheelerworld.com they will have alot of answers too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
a notarized bill of sale will help at least you need that in ohio. Just a piece of paper saying you bought the bike from someone. (your buddy joe)

i have seen guys usea piece of paper and a pencil and use it like a stencil to get a impression of them.

Sounds alot easier than doing a self built.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts