Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 06 brute 750i back from having the carbs cleaned out. (I didn't want to mess with it and just didn't have the time) Took it out for its first ride and coming back from a three hour ride cruising down a gravel road a clear lubricant started spewing up into the digital gage, on the air box and down onto the front cylinder. It was also loosing all power grab. It felt like a car with a clutch going out. Engine would overrun the belt. And the smell was like what you would smell if your vacuum cleaner had a hot belt. I won't have a chance to look at it until tomorrow and was hoping for a starting point. ANY thoughts. Could it be something the shop did when cleaning the carbs? It hasn't been ridden a lot in the last couple of years, could it be a dried gasket that gave out, or a seal? The fluid was not oil or gas. The only thing I could think of was break fluid.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Check.........

Could have been a coolant hose blew. Does it smell like antifreeze?
If it sprayed the ignition wires, converter cover, etc.......that might be the power loss.
If you had a sudden loss of brake fluid you would have front brake failure.
Hope this helps...............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was not any break loss towing it back and it still looked like there was a bubble in the resevior window. It also did not feel like coolant or have the smell of coolant. It seemed to have more vescosit than coolant too. I will check those things out though, thanks. Any other ideas, the fluid appeared to be clear

·
Registered
379 Posts
Orange or green?

Do you know if the coolant is green or lightly orange color?
If its orange color it smells like something old and musty moldy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure of the color of antifreeze but I will look tomorrow, what would cause the power slippage??? The quad still ran great it just felt as though a clutch was going out and the smell was like the belt was burning

·
Registered
379 Posts
overheated ?

The engine may have overheated and the belt got too hot.
There is only gas , coolant , brake fluid, and engine oil, in the machine that I know of. So this clear substance has to be one of these or a combination of them.
If your brakes shoes got too hot or were draging you would smell the shoes burning and it would slow you down. If the B fluid got too hot from this it would build up pressure and go somewhere.
Just look it all over and you will find something.

·
Registered
379 Posts
could be........

chucked may be right........the drag may be the power loss or slipping you thought you had. Then the engine overheated and blew a hose or something.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If The brake was on it would overheat the diff fluid causing the fluid to expand and come out the breather under the bars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the brake fluid pressurized and fluid did come from the differential, is there any way that it could get on the belt. What is the most likely fluid to get on the belt and where might it come from. I have never taken off the cover to look at the belt. Are there any plugs or gaskets leading to anything else in the housing??

·
Registered
99 Posts
sometimes if they oiled your air filter they put too much oil on it and it gets all over around the airbox area pull your airbox lid off and check that area

·
Registered
711 Posts
The vents for the differentials areup by the handle bars the intake for the clutch cover is in that area.If the oil blew into the clutch intake then it would make the belt slip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is what it felt like, and the burning smell I think was just from the fluid getting onto the motor. I still wasn't able to get at it today, (last minute Christmas shopping) but will throw out findings here in a couple of days so to maybe help someone else. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP AND RESPONSES. MUCH APPRECIATED:D:D:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you all think is the best product to use to clean the oil off the belt if it did infact get on it. I am assuming the belt is rubber and not a kevlor or sort. Any thoughts or should I just let it work itself out? As I said before I haven't had a chance to get to it yet, but I don't think a whole lot of oil got onto the belt, just enough to effect its grab.

·
Registered
379 Posts
?

I would think any cleaner that cuts oil and evaps quick ....but don't let it catch on fire!

At this point I would be trying to correct the prob with the oil getting on the belt........if thats it.

Was your belt light flashing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are pretty good. Diagnosed the problem without looking at it. It appears the brake did just get left on (that's what happens when you switch bikes with a wife) and the fluid got hot enough to run up through the breather and then sneak its way down into the belt housing. pulled the cover and there was just a little fluid (1 oz) in the bottom of the case. Cleaned it and seem to have fixed everything. Thanks again for all the help. Sorry for getting a thank you back so late.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts