Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know you can buy them new anymore but I really need a chain drive setup. I know I have read posts of how people say you don't gain much. But I the 300" I agree but most drag times my quad will see is in the 1/4 mile. Bu buddies run banshee's and are in the 10's at around 120 mph. I know the motor has the potental but is limited on gearing, could you imagine Metal or Camo's quads with chain drive on the 1/4. Anyway, if anyone is selling a kit they have laying around let me know.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Banshees in the 10's at 120. You're gonna need more than a chain drive.

What engine do you have in your V

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know it will need more engine. Right now just the basic bolt ons. But before I go crazy on building up the motor/turbo and dump a bunch of cabage I would like to know if I can get a chain drive setup first. I can get the swingarm and axle taken care of if need be, but I mainly need the gears and all motor parts for the convert.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I would skip the chain drive part, here's why:

1) Most people thought it saved a lot of weight over the swingarm and that turned out to be untrue

2) You can buy german long gears that go in the rear end and also longer gears that go in the transmission, which would get you amazing top end CAPABILITIES.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
It turned out to be untrue? Really? Who proved that? Funny, because when I lift the back of mine up... and then walk over to my chain drive... sure feels a lot lighter to me.. and the 5 or so others on here who have done it too.... :p

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
actually Rich I found the thread where it was said, I wanna say Mickey said it, concerning Jeremy's bike when he originally built it.

That said, it has to be considerably lighter, I think the complete stock set up from axle to swingarm is pushing 70 lbs

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
I guess I could just go down stairs and drag the wife's scale and just weigh the azz end of the 764 and the 800....

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
My +10 swing arm, rear diff and the axle with shaft is 75 lbs.

when i seen Knights set up it looked like it couldve had weigh more than 25lbs if that and it looked to be at least a +8

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
well, my drag axle, hubs, sprockets, etc.. is 9lbs..... so... lets see.. carrier is 7lbs... swinger is 10...... chain is 4......shock is 3lbs....... hmm oh wait.. shock doesn't count.... anyway....

9 + 4+ 7+ 10 = 30lbs..... so, no , a shaft drive weighs the same... lol oops, I forget the rear caliper..... bet that is 5 lbs at best.. so ... on the heavy side.. let say it weighs 35 lbs....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Z-mann I couldn't take one of your kits off your hands could I?

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
nope.... but, I will call and see if he has any extra's...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You have a chain drive so I will take your word Z-mann, I just swear I read in another thread about how the weight savings were negligible.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
yeah, I comented in that thread... pretty crazy when you got folks telling you that you are wrong but, they don't own one or have any way to prove it... and I even said.. um, I have 5 or 6 v's... and pretty sure I can go get the scale and prove it but, some folks would just want to argue about it anyway....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
It turned out to be untrue? Really? Who proved that? Funny, because when I lift the back of mine up... and then walk over to my chain drive... sure feels a lot lighter to me.. and the 5 or so others on here who have done it too.... :p

i can vouch for that, huge difference

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Yep!! The Skat Trak conversion removes more from the engine than the other one does. Skat's version removes reverse gears and replaces other gears. The other on uses the stock gearing, but removes the bevel gears. This one does not require spliting the cases. Either one, you have to modify the stator case for sproket clearance. Take that off the weight along with a swinger/axle that weighs half of the V's hefty swinger/axle/rear diff, and that's a good amount of weight lose. Then on top of that, the power robbing friction disc brake system is gone. That's less friction, and less rotating mass. On top of that, you have gearing options. See where this is going. I could go on for a while.

The only reason the Skat Trak kit did not boom in popularity is it's ungodly price tag. Even the bolt on version is up there in price. Then you gotta do a singer/axle combo on top of that. For the average joe, it would be like buying another quad:eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for checking Z-mann. Do you mind me asking how much that set you back? I prefer the one that you don't need to split the cases but that is not a huge deal but it would be nice to keep reverse but not required. Also, I wonder what kind of HP these new gears will hold up to?

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
well... it is a 250r output shaft...and I don't recall reading of anyone complaining about those being an issue.... hell.. I tried to break mine when I got it....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just the chain drive kit is what I need or just a list of the parts and where I can get it the items. Like if it uses a 250r output shaft, I can get them from Honda but what about the rest of the parts? But, I have been thinking I may do if this is to big of deal is get one and of the newer 4 stoke efi sled motors and through it in my spare frame and just keep this quad as my everyday ride, we will see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts