Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.....my wife was talking and I wasn't really paying attention.......

Got the heads off, and it's at TDC on the front cyl. I can't remember if I made sure to get it on the compression stroke or not. So before re-assembly, I need to make sure it right, otherwise my timing will be off.

Other than taking the engine side cover off, can't I take the plug off behind the primary clutch, and confirm that the marks are lined up?Re-assemble the front. Then I would turn the motor 270* counter-clockwise and it should be on TDC rear. Both COMPRESSION STROKE........

Is this correct????

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
just pull the inspection cap off located on the side cover above where the flywheel is.....it should be on the "TF" mark

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't it be on that mark for the exhaust stroke as well?

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should pull the valve adjuster caps off and remove the cap on the flywheel cover. You want to turn the engine counter clock-wise until you see the intake rocker raise and lower. After you see the rocker lower, keep turning the engine slowly while looking at the flywheel. Align the TF mark on the flywheel with the slot on the cover and you are at tdc, compression stroke.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My heads and cams are already off. I'm getting ready to re-install. So watching the valve operation is a no go....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, it makes no difference where the piston is until you put the heads on and install the camshaft. Install the heads, turn the engine to TF, install front cam with lobes downward, and align timing marks via the process I suggested earlier.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so the TF and TR marks are only TDC on the compression stroke? Am I thinking too much into it, because for some reason I am thinking that it will line up on those marks for TDC compression and exhaust stroke..........

·
Registered
305 Posts
It doesnt matter cause the cams are out. Just put it on TR and start your reassemble. Once the rear is complete rotate 270* clockwise to the TF and assemble the front. If your cams were in then yes your thinking would be correct but since their out it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It won't make a difference in the piston to valve relationship but won't it make the ignition timing off?

·
Registered
430 Posts
He has not installed the cams yet. So there is really no compression stroke or exhaust stroke. By using the correct process on installing the cams puts the engine in the correct cycle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It doesnt matter cause the cams are out. Just put it on TR and start your reassemble. Once the rear is complete rotate 270* clockwise to the TF and assemble the front. If your cams were in then yes your thinking would be correct but since their out it doesnt matter.
I had mine totally apart also and this is what I did and worked perfectly. the compression stroke and exhaust stroke is by the cams. You start with the TR set the rear cam then spin 270 clockwise and your ready to install the front cam. So in other words lets say you spun the crank to TR then spun it again around to TR again without the cams in place. You are still at TDC and the cam is what is going to set the compression or exhaust stroke.

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Flywheel side.

The camshaft turns half speed of crank thus two turns of crank to every turn of cam so the TR or TF mark is every 360 degrees but takes 720 degrees to turn cams one time.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It won't make a difference in the piston to valve relationship but won't it make the ignition timing off?
This is what I was thinking. Like I said, I may have been think too much into it.:hmm:

I got it back together guys. I had it on TDC on the front, and then I rotated the crank 270* counter-clockwise to the rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts