Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Was planning all along to get a Sportsman Touring 570 ATV for the cottage, trails and fishing with my kids or buddy. Came across a Mule MX new for 10995$ CND and started watching videos on it. It appears super versatile and tough. BUT, the trails I ride can be pretty tough and I look at those tires and think I’m going to get stuck everywhere and I don’t want to buy a new machine and then have to change 1000$ worth of tires. So folks, how is this thing off road? And I don’t mean farm trails. For those of you that transitioned from an ATV to a Mule, how did that go for you? What did you like or dislike the most?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like mine but I don't try to get it buried in the mud. People that switch from ATV will likely have to adjust to the size of these machines and the wider turning radius. The factory tires on these are great compared to the ones on my old 2006 Mule 610

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mules simply won't sling the mud out of the tires. If you can't crawl thru it, you'll probably get stuck in it.

I put on ITP Blackwaters and mine will go anywhere there's a bottom.

But, if I get it off into anything sloppy or thick, it just doesn't have the power to keep forward momentum and the tires clean. Unlike an ATV, you can't "get on top" of anything. Polaris's with 80+ HP can get on top of things and rip, but the mule just bull dozes thru. Too slow and weak for "mudding".

The stock tires, I could get stuck in wet grass.

But, the mule seems to be more durable, better warranty, great for working and anything not mudding. So just depends on what you are looking for. If you think you'll be using it for mudding, look elsewhere or get a really nice winch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mules simply won't sling the mud out of the tires. If you can't crawl thru it, you'll probably get stuck in it.

I put on ITP Blackwaters and mine will go anywhere there's a bottom.

But, if I get it off into anything sloppy or thick, it just doesn't have the power to keep forward momentum and the tires clean. Unlike an ATV, you can't "get on top" of anything. Polaris's with 80+ HP can get on top of things and rip, but the mule just bull dozes thru. Too slow and weak for "mudding".

The stock tires, I could get stuck in wet grass.

But, the mule seems to be more durable, better warranty, great for working and anything not mudding. So just depends on what you are looking for. If you think you'll be using it for mudding, look elsewhere or get a really nice winch.
Thanks. The only time it will see Mud if for a few feet once a year on my way to fish. But yeah those stock tires are not made for mud at all. So it can’t spin fast enough to clear out your ITPs??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Completely disagree with this. Where I hunt and use my Mule PRO FXT, it has been an absolute mudhole for 3 straight years. With good tires, there is more than enough power to clean tires and get to just about anywhere I need to go. The only time we have any issues is when the mud starts to dry out and gets to the consistency of thick grease - in which case it doesn't matter what you have, it isn't cleaning well out of tires and you are apt to get stuck. Polaris, jeeps, Mules...all the same story when the mud is thick and won't clean well even out of mud tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Completely disagree with this. Where I hunt and use my Mule PRO FXT, it has been an absolute mudhole for 3 straight years. With good tires, there is more than enough power to clean tires and get to just about anywhere I need to go. The only time we have any issues is when the mud starts to dry out and gets to the consistency of thick grease - in which case it doesn't matter what you have, it isn't cleaning well out of tires and you are apt to get stuck. Polaris, jeeps, Mules...all the same story when the mud is thick and won't clean well even out of mud tires.
Awesome. Have you had to change your tires? How did the stock ones do?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome. Have you had to change your tires? How did the stock ones do?
Stock tires were OK, but we all have mud tires during the wet season. I have Kenda Executioners and they do extremely well. During the dry times of the year like now, I put on my all terrain summer tires to save wear on my mud tires and because the ride is significantly smoother. I think my summer tires are ITP of some sort, bought them off of facebook marketplace from a guy for a steal.

Hunting Mud Conditions.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a video from the same time this picture was taken, but it's too big to upload here and I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out how to shorten or compress it unfortunately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a video from the same time this picture was taken, but it's too big to upload here and I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out how to shorten or compress it unfortunately.
Cool if you can find me on Facebook messenger it’s Michael Bury. I’d love to see the video

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks. The only time it will see Mud if for a few feet once a year on my way to fish. But yeah those stock tires are not made for mud at all. So it can’t spin fast enough to clear out your ITPs??
Not if they slick over. The cvt slows down as the load increases and eventually she'll slick over and that's the end of it. But that only matters in very thick sloppy mud. I run it through some serious mud, don't get me wrong. It's very capable to a point. So much so that I've not wanted to replace it yet. Had it for 3 years now.

Some places I've been stuck I know a Polaris wouldn't have. But the Polaris would have probably broken down many times already and I don't have time for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not if they slick over. The cvt slows down as the load increases and eventually she'll slick over and that's the end of it. But that only matters in very thick sloppy mud. I run it through some serious mud, don't get me wrong. It's very capable to a point. So much so that I've not wanted to replace it yet. Had it for 3 years now.

Some places I've been stuck I know a Polaris wouldn't have. But the Polaris would have probably broken down many times already and I don't have time for that.
I see. And why do you think the Polaris would have made it through?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same reason my ATV does, more power to weight ratio. You can hit the mud faster and keep the tires moving faster.

It's no secret that mules are vastly underpowered compared to a polaris xp1000 for instance.

I love my mule but a mudding machine it is not. It can't even posilock the front end. I've gotten stuck because of that as well. Having only 1 front tire spinning is a huge disadvantage when you are in the muck.

But it sounds to me like you aren't going to be using it for mudding or hitting big holes like I do, so you'll be fine. Even with the few times I've been stuck, I'm still content. It's good enough for most situation, one you get rid of the stock tires and go to 27 or 28 inch wheels. I also upgraded to highlighter A arms to better clear my big wheels and tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same reason my ATV does, more power to weight ratio. You can hit the mud faster and keep the tires moving faster.

It's no secret that mules are vastly underpowered compared to a polaris xp1000 for instance.

I love my mule but a mudding machine it is not. It can't even posilock the front end. I've gotten stuck because of that as well. Having only 1 front tire spinning is a huge disadvantage when you are in the muck.

But it sounds to me like you aren't going to be using it for mudding or hitting big holes like I do, so you'll be fine. Even with the few times I've been stuck, I'm still content. It's good enough for most situation, one you get rid of the stock tires and go to 27 or 28 inch wheels. I also upgraded to highlighter A arms to better clear my big wheels and tires.
Thansk a lot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi folks. Was planning all along to get a Sportsman Touring 570 ATV for the cottage, trails and fishing with my kids or buddy. Came across a Mule MX new for 10995$ CND and started watching videos on it. It appears super versatile and tough. BUT, the trails I ride can be pretty tough and I look at those tires and think I’m going to get stuck everywhere and I don’t want to buy a new machine and then have to change 1000$ worth of tires. So folks, how is this thing off road? And I don’t mean farm trails. For those of you that transitioned from an ATV to a Mule, how did that go for you? What did you like or dislike the most?

I bought one in February. I LOVE IT!! It is a very colid, well built machine AND it has a 3 year warranty. None of the other brands have that. I have found that the tires work very well. I have been through "some" mud....not a lot. I haven;t even come close to getting stuck. i also use it in sand (central Florida) and have had no issues. It has plenty of power and rides like a dream. I would highly recommend this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought one in February. I LOVE IT!! It is a very colid, well built machine AND it has a 3 year warranty. None of the other brands have that. I have found that the tires work very well. I have been through "some" mud....not a lot. I haven;t even come close to getting stuck. i also use it in sand (central Florida) and have had no issues. It has plenty of power and rides like a dream. I would highly recommend this.
Awesome thanks! Am doing the financing this week!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Northern California Bowman Lake. Love my Mule. So far absolutely no problems. A few mods I’ve done , thicker belly pan, windshield and winch plus a aluminum top.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts