Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to say hi to everyone an itroduce myself.i 35yrs old an have a son thats 11yrs old an we love dirtbikes an atvs.what brings me here is im about to buy a new atv here in a few mounths an im haveing a promblem deciding between the kfx700 an the can am renegade.im a kawasaki type person.i have a 96 kx250 an a 2000 kx250,my son started on a jr50 at 3 an by the time he turned 4.5yrs old he was on a kx60.he was a kawie boy until he got his yz85 for his 9th birthday lol.ive been riding an learning the atv things on a 300ex but ive decided i need a bigger atv so my son will get my 300ex.im a little over 6'1 an 270 pounds.i like to trail ride an wouldnt mind messing around on a track once in a while nothing competitive.im not really into mudding.but i would like to be able to put a rack on the back cause i would like to be able to use this atv for work around the house an have a trailer hitch to hook up a wagon too.would i be able to dag a small set of harrows with the kfx.we do small hunting food plots.it would be 20% work an the rest would be play.i know they have weak tie rods an the can am have frame promblems.ive never been stuck with the ex if this gives you any indication of my riding.so everyone pitch in an give me the good the bad an the ugly.thanks Aaron

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
For your size I would suggest a KFX, but to be honest, I think you'd be happy with either. Both have enough power to haul around what you're talkin about.

You can get a used KFX for a GREAT price.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
sounds like a KFX was made for ya :D they really are a do all atv. I originally bought mine just for what you described, auto tranny, drive shaft, enclosed rear brake, throw a hitch on the back, lots of power. Great atv for working around the farm and then playing around on also.

The worse damn mistake I ever made was finding this site :mad:

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
yea...if your not plowing snow, riding in snow or deep mud where you need the 4WD, get the KFX. Plus its like half the price, isn't it?? I've ridden with lots of 4X4 guys and just went around the big mudholes. I can go up any hill they can and pretty much over most any other terrain.

The hitch from the Brute 650, Prairie 650/700 will bolt on the KFX. I pulled a pallet around my yard to level it, when I was seeding it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i would agree, but the renny eats kfx's up. and they are an all purpose quad. just cuz its got 4wd, doesnt make it a ute. and its got a super plush ride. all comes down to what u wanna spend, they are both excellent bikes, the renny in my eyes has the upper hand though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys.i was thinking about a plow but the amount of snow we get here isnt that much.last year i was able to ride my snowmobile 2 different times.right now we dont have enough snow to cover the grass in our lawns.deep mud i would stay away from but playing in the snow is to much fun.:p hows the jetting on a stock 700 do you have to rejet for winter riding,thats the nice thing about the renegade(fuel injection).i hate to rejet carbs i think its such a pain in the a$$:mad:.the only things i can think of positive about the renegade is the full floorboads,efi, an 4x4 which i dont think i need.the price of a gade is enough to gage on alone an the frame issues ive heard about to.the 300ex makes me happy but i would love it to be bigger size an motor clutch sucks on an atv,an more front wheel coverage,i hate getting splashed by the front wheels in corners.:mad:keep it coming guys:D
thanks kawie

·
Registered
445 Posts
you can get brand new kfx's all day for less than 5k... check dealers, and ebay

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I have both the Rene and the Kawi

Two differnt rides. All depends on if you want the 4x4 or not. The kawi feels more sporty, the Rene is more truck like.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I live in Ohio and we get some snow. Compared to the 300 you will think you have a 700cc 4x4. Change from the holeshots to a 24" Bearclaw and you will be plowing snow and playing in the snow with tons of fun. Just adding that little more ground clearence will suprise you (for what you are able to go through... Including mud)! I just went to a 25" Bearclaw and cant wait for the big snow to fly so i can surprise some of the local 4x4's. I would love to ride a renny 800 but looking at the price it wouldnt matter... Thats just too much for something im going to throw around.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
best u can do is ride each one. see if theres any guys round u on here and on can-amtalk and get with em and take a ride. or find a rare dealer thatll let u test ride.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I don't have much experience with quads specifically....but have had my share of offroad recreational vehicles....so I will tell you the KFX surpassed every expectation I had in a sport ute quad. My uncle and I live on the same acreage, he's got a stock 99 Polaris 500 4x4. My KFX is in my sig., and the KFX is what we're using most to play and pull trailers around. It far exceeds the power, handling, ease of riding, traction, and all around delight to ride, of the Polaris. I know I'm comparing A to O with the Can-am...it's a an excellent quad, from what I've read about it....but unless you're going to NEED 4x4 3-4 months out of the year, I can't see justifying the extra $
JM.02, Ed3

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
what hooked me on dixietuff's renny was the super rediculously comfy ride. i rode it for a minute. i had to get off bc it was just too smooth, hes brought it riding with us other times in case mine or his v acts up. and he brought it another time bc my bike was throwing fireballs out the exhaust. i may have one in the future when they become available used, but i dont have his $!

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
I love my V, but I have raced some bada$$ renes. We have a guy that rides with the WCG that has a Rene X with a Ron Woods kit on it and that thing is most impressive on the dunes. If I were to buy a ute, it wood be a rene. Probably going to be a Teryx though.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
lets start at the beginning, also started on a 300EX, and then moved to the kfx700, took a bit of getting used to, as its a much bigger machine!!

once you get the hang of it, would not change the V for nothing!!

the renegades?? yes they are strong, and so is the cost of doing something on them!!
soft ride yep, then the handling/feel is different due to the independent suspension!!

liked their brakes, maybe if my V had braided lines, would feel the same!!

then on the performance side of things, the renegades are strong, not unbeatable!!

except for mud pits and the like, there is no where they go where I dont go with my V!!

good luck!!
:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
lets start at the beginning, also started on a 300EX, and then moved to the kfx700, took a bit of getting used to, as its a much bigger machine!!

once you get the hang of it, would not change the V for nothing!!

the renegades?? yes they are strong, and so is the cost of doing something on them!!
soft ride yep, then the handling/feel is different due to the independent suspension!!

liked their brakes, maybe if my V had braided lines, would feel the same!!

then on the performance side of things, the renegades are strong, not unbeatable!!

YouTube- Mozmbique videos kfx 700 vs Can Am s

except for mud pits and the like, there is no where they go where I dont go with my V!!

good luck!!
:D:D
totally agreed

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
as far as your winter jetting question...

Most of us (and you also, if you stick around here :D) are not running stock motors.....one of the first things you will probably want to do is add a pipe and open up the intake....most do this by drilling 12-15 1" holes in the airbox lid and running a hi-flow air filter. Once you have it dialed in, you can "tune" a bit by covering or uncovering the holes in your lid. When I lived in MI and rode year round, I either had duct tape or some 1" plastic plugs that I used to dial it in the hillbilly way....I don't want to change jets all the time either, but you'll get good at it when your getting the bike set up.

·
Registered
445 Posts
as far as your winter jetting question...

Most of us (and you also, if you stick around here :D) are not running stock motors.....one of the first things you will probably want to do is add a pipe and open up the intake....most do this by drilling 12-15 1" holes in the airbox lid and running a hi-flow air filter. Once you have it dialed in, you can "tune" a bit by covering or uncovering the holes in your lid. When I lived in MI and rode year round, I either had duct tape or some 1" plastic plugs that I used to dial it in the hillbilly way....I don't want to change jets all the time either, but you'll get good at it when your getting the bike set up.

duct tape is your friend with 12 hole mod trouble shooting jetting for sure!!... nothing looks more hill billy than running with the air box cover off and yellow duct tape all over your lidB)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks again all.if i get a gade it more than likely will be the 500.9-10 grand for a atv is too much:eek:. hows the reliability with the stock kfx.how many hours/miles before a rebuild.if i get one i would do normal mods like pipe,filter,clutch,an body mods.
thanks Kawie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts