Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilt my carbs a few months ago and all was good. Ran strong, no stumbles or nothing. Due to life, I haven’t had time to ride since I rebuilt the carbs. Took it out today and she runs rough at idle and low throttle. Punch it and it takes off like a scared rabbit and pulls hard. Pretty sure I have some ethanol fuel growth issues in my pilot jets, but I am NOT pulling these carbs out again so soon after just doing it. Anybody have a good Seafoam method to clear these damn things up?

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
170 Posts
berrymans B12 chemtool. pour it straight, into the fuel line while it's running if possible.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never heard of that stuff Mule055. I’m in Canada, so we’re pretty limited on what we can get. I mixed a small container 50/50 with Seafoam and fuel this morning and plumbed it right into the pump. Fired it up and let it get pumped into the carbs. Ran it for a bit and shut it down with the mixture still in the carbs. Will fire it up tomorrow and pump some more mixture in there and leave it for a few days, as I work away from home. See how it runs in a few days. If she’s still rough, she gets the straight stuff!

Reactions: Mule055

·
Registered
170 Posts
yeah that B12 chemtool is great stuff...it may be too harsh for the environment in canada.
Hope the seafoam will work out well for you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it on Amazon.ca. They want $66 a can. I think I’ll stick with Seafoam at $10 a can! Canada sucks sometimes!

Reactions: Mule055

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the setup I built to get the 50/50 mix directly to my carbs. Works good as it smoked like crazy once the mix got to the carbs!!

·
Registered
85 KLT110, 08 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360, 11 Prairie360 Camo
112 Posts
......but did you happen to forget to drain the carb bowl before you let him sit for a few months?

I always run a little SeaFoam in the fuel tank. And a little Stabil 360 Ethanol Treatment (just a capful or so) from time to time because now even higher octane stuff-the gas station doesn't know if it has ethanol in it or not.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn’t drain the float bowls as I had no intention of letting it sit that long. I do run premium though. I’m at work now so we’ll see in a few days what the fuel system with the 50/50 mix in there has chewed out. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Found it on Amazon.ca. They want $66 a can. I think I’ll stick with Seafoam at $10 a can! Canada sucks sometimes!
$66 a can! WOW! I can get it at the parts store from $2-$5 a can... wow canada does suck..:p;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, that didn’t work so guess what I did today? Glad I have another set of carbs ready to go. Put them in and she purrs like a kitten. Guess it’s drain the bowls if she’s gonna sit for a while and put a bunch of stabilizer and ethanol-be-gone in every tank.😡

Reactions: Quakhunter

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mule055, we get hosed up here for just about everything. Can be rather disheartening at times. But, break your leg and go to emergency and the cost is $0. Oh, I lied, you gotta pay for your crutches!!!!! We win on some things, lose on others!!

Just some FYI for you guys. I was talking to a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about carbs and ethanol, and he was telling me that older carbs were sprayed (or coated) with some kind of sealer or something like that. Non ethanol fuels have no problem with this coating, but ethanol actually decomposes this coating and that is the gray looking garbage that gets caught up in all the little ports------like the ones in your pilot jets------causing it to run like crap. So if you have an older carbed Brute or Prairie, try to run non ethanol fuel, drain your carb bowls if its gonna sit, or put some brand of ethanol treatment in every tank. Might save you a ton of headache.

On a side note, I figured out a way to change my carbs where I don't have to remove so much plastic. Carbs were out and in in less than 2 hours!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm probably over the top with this, but I drain the carb bowl end of day after every ride, even if I'm going to ride again the next day. Doesn't take that long. I refer to it as taking a pee before bed time. Have a hard plastic laundry detergent cap they pee into and then I just put the gas back in the tank.....and I've never had a carb gum up/fuel issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you have a piece of trash (flake of rust-small piece of dissolved rubber(from fuel line) lodged in your idle circuit. Ethanol (watered down gasoline) will eat up older rubber fuel line and gaskets. When you punch it the amount of air coming down through the carb will override the the low volume of air required for the idle circuit and it goes !! You might try to idle it up quite a bit and put the palm of your hand over the carb and try to suck the obstruction out (might take several attempts) or remove carb bowl/drain plug bolt(not sure what these carbs have) and blow air down through the carb to blow obstruction out the back door(so to speak). Sea Foam will not dissolve this object !! Ran good at first, but then sucked up something and plugged idle circuit (not uncommon). Last resort - pull carbs and blow everything out like you did first time - CLEAN fuel system and install new fuel filter. Good luck !!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wyoprairie, draining the bowls is gonna be the go-to now. Went out for 3 days camping and she ran great every day. No misses, no stumbles, just stump pullin power whenever you want it. Got back tonight and will drain the bowls tomorrow after I wash it, as it is gonna sit a while. I also put some Seafoam and Lucas ethanol treatment in there to try and eliminate any issues.

Daver, she got all new fuel lines last year when I put in the new fuel pump. Plus, I have an in-line clear plastic fuel filter that makes it easy to see if there is anything in there. Filter is clean as a whistle.

Reactions: wyoprairie

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice.....running good again(y)
Thanks. Drained the bowls after giving it a bath, but it is quite the contortionist act to get in there with a 3mm allen wrench. Ordered an extra long 3mm ball end hex screwdriver to make it easier, so we'll see how that works. Hopefully, using the ethanol treatment and draining the bowls will cure the fuel problems I'm having.

Reactions: Quakhunter

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bet a little more involved since you have the dual carbs. I just have Prairie 360's and a 3-wheeler, so just single Keihin
and the drain plug is real easy to get to-right next to the idle adjuster. Yeah I keep extra allens in the garage so not to have to get them out of the tool kit. Then the hose comes out the other side. Do you have separate drain hose for each carb? I was thinking of putting KFX700 or Prairie700 on the wish list, but would involve some added maintenance with the dual carb setup.....anyway not doing anything for the time being.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts