Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded my KDX220 aka "The Pain Maker" for this Gem of a 4wheeler. Now I am not the smartest guy so I am asking for your help. They guys at the Kawasaki dealership would look at my questions and laugh, and you are welcolme to laugh, just do it behind my back.

I asume I should break down and by a manual but I want opinions on how to care for this thing. Can someone break down for me rutine maintenance for this?
1. Oil change- how often, type oil, (does it have an oil filter?)
2. Air filter- where the heck is it...usually under the seat right? should I clean with gas? should I buy No Toil? Should I just throw it away and get a new one?

Another thing that has perplexed me is with the gas on it runs bad, chokes out and stalls, but if I put it in reserve it runs perfect..... huh??

I will keep the Q's short since its my 1st post and dont want you all to hate me right off the bat. Any help you could give me would be great on how to make this thing last forever. Thank you

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Oil you want to use a good oil rated for use with a wet clutch (usually motorcycle oil). I run Amsoil, but also race mine. Just don't run cheap car oil or you'll burn out the clutch and it won't stand up to high rpm use. I run the same oil all season, but it's a real good oil, so adjust your interval to the quality of oil you choose.

The oil filter is on the right side behind a cover up and to the right of the oil fill hole. There is a little window also on the right side down behind the foot peg that shows how much oil you have. There's two marks on the window, run it in the middle.

The air filter is on the left side behind the plastic. There four screws holding the cover on. Two are down slightly below the plastic, the other two you have to stick a screwdriver through two holes in the plastic to get to them. There's no real set time to clean it, just check it and clean when dirty.

Some guys swear by cleaning the air filter with gas, but I'm not one of them. A stock foam filter can be cleaned just fine with soap and water without risk of damage. Any foam air filter oil is fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much Mojave Magic!! You can't imagine what an incredible help that was. I have been looking all over the internet trying to find these answers. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to explain that to me. Thank you!!:D

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
No problem. Forgot to mention, the oil takes just about 2 quarts when filling it and putting a new filter.

I didn't see the other question until now. The easy answer would be a dirty carb, but forward of reverse should have no bearing on running condition. My guess would be that your rear brake is in poor shape and possibly hanging up only going forward. Either that or maybe bad bearing in the rear end that's doing the same thing. Any other noises that it makes when running bad will help pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hew Mojave magic were do u get a high quality oil for my bike just at a motorcycle shop

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
I wish I could find someone to trade my KX250 to for a Mojave!:mad:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hew Mojave magic were do u get a high quality oil for my bike just at a motorcycle shop
Yeah, pretty much any atv/motorcycle dealer will have something. I order it direct from Amsoil, but any good synthetic rated for use with a wet clutch will keep this engine running great.

I put 130 hours on my 01 since I've had it. Been running Amsoil since I bought it in 05. Those hours are almost 100% racing. Lots of slipping the clutch in tight trails and full throttle dumping it for drag racing. It doesn't make any noise or smoke and always fires right up. I adjust the valves as needed and change the oil at the beginning of the season and that's it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just happened to notice he said reserve not reverse. You may want to remove and clean the petcock(fuel valve) sometimes they can plug up their screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are an awesome help and not one of you snickered at my questions.... Thank you. It has been raining here in Virginia for 2 days straight and cant even get to the back yard to look at the bikes.
I though about the carb and keeping it running well after what Mojave Magic said.... that brought me to another question..... What is your opinion about running something like Sea Foam (it is an all around fuel system cleaner/ not really foam from the sea, lol), I have used it in cars to help gummed up lifters? Just wonder if it is a good idea to run through the gas to help clean any junk the previous owner may added to my bike at no additional charge.
Also Jonboy, thank you, I will pull the petcock off and try to clean it out.

Again thank you guys so much for taking the time to help. :tup:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
"reserve" Wow I missed that one, I guess you can laugh at me now. Definitely clean the petcock and while everything is apart, it wouldn't hurt to flush the tank. I found tons of junk in mine, including what looked like hay even though I'm not on a farm.

I have a can of Sea Foam sitting around to use on my truck one of these days. These engines aren't anything unusual, so I say go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I swam to the shed last night (still raining) and found the air filter (nasty), and the oil filter:tup:. After work today I will go over to the jokers at the Kawasaki dealership and get some stuff. This time Im going to walk in there with some amo that you all gave me. I will start talkin words with them like "petcock" and "oil for wet clutch". I will get some oil and a new filter and get the heck outa there. Hopefully iI can finally go ride this thing over the weekend.

Again thank you for all of your help, it is so much appreciated.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good Luck Bud. Hope you get it running good. There are more than plenty that can answer your questions here. I may not know the mojo very well but you will learn that most of the basic principals apply to all bikes.
Oh and them jokers at the dealer will still try to make you feel ignorant even if they have no clue, they will think theyre right, but as long as you know what you need dont let them fool you into something you dont need to pay for. I will tell you that Hondas' GN4 oil is great I've never lost a motor on honda oil. And I am a die hard green man. It is for wet clutch bikes and Use engine Ice for coolant You will notice a big difference unless your radiator is clogged or the fins are full of mud. theres my $.02 for the day. Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much Jonboy, and I truly appreciate your $0.02! I just hope I can return the favor one day and make my contributions to the forum. It seems that the Mojo is running pretty well. I changed the oil this time with Kawasaki 4cycle mororcycle 10w-40. I will definitley try the Honda next time. I put a new air filter in it as well. The petcock looks like it is attached to the bottom of the tank and could be a job for next weekend, so Im still running with just reserve on, so I will have to keep a close eye on the gas level. We went riding yesterday, and that thing is a ton of fun. The intent was to let my wife ride the Mojave (and get rid of the KDX, that thing hurt) and I would keep riding the Blaster we have.... Ha! this thing is way better than the Blaster, sorry honey!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 87 Mojo that has had Amsoil run in it from day one, I bought it from a friend that used to race it and the engine is still in great shape. Only thing ever done to it is regular maintenance and rebuilding/porting the head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts