Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been kickin myself on the back of my head tryin to figure this one out.....I hope someone here has been there so they can help me out with this.(not the kickin back of head)

I recently locked up a 2009 brute, I came across a good deal on a 2006 engine but its not firing..... 2009 fuel inj, 2006 carb. would this make that much of a difference ?
I feel like all the wiring is correct but still no fire. Turns over great and sounds like a tight motor but is this a kick in the azz instead of my head?

any help will be greatly appreciated....

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
What all did you switch over from your 09 to the 06 motor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't there in the shop when they dropped off the motors but nothing was taken off my 09 that I know of.
The place that I bought the motor from wanted my locked up motor in the trade. was kinda a "take one out, put one in" kinda swap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, now I did try a diff. stator last night, still no fire. It wasn't from a 09 engine but it was a good one because we chk it with a meter.....I'm wondering if the flywheel/rotor from the 09 is diff cause of the fuel inj.

·
Registered
346 Posts
So you put a carb. motor on a 09 chasis? Why dont you take it back to the shop that swapped for you... I blieve they should be responsible for getting it running?? Sounds like they worked you over on that one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shop is run by a friend and he is tryin to get it running. Its still there and he will make it right. Its the place that I bought the motor that worries me. I'm hoping they still have my old motor there so we can get the stator or fly wheel off it.
I was hoping someone here had tried the same thing that could shed some light on this subject.....

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
IMO i think you are going to need the wiring harness and all electrical components off the 06. I dont think the cdis are the same and that is the brain for the entire electrical system.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
im with tom on this one... id say its in the wiring harnesses and you'll just be beating a dead horse until you swap the harnesses out..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone for the help. I'm gonna call the guys I bought the motor and hope they still have my old stuff.....if not they not gonna have a good response from me....Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Hey guys, I've been kickin myself on the back of my head tryin to figure this one out.....I hope someone here has been there so they can help me out with this.(not the kickin back of head)

I recently locked up a 2009 brute, I came across a good deal on a 2006 engine but its not firing..... 2009 fuel inj, 2006 carb. would this make that much of a difference ?
I feel like all the wiring is correct but still no fire. Turns over great and sounds like a tight motor but is this a kick in the azz instead of my head?

I, and probably others, are still not clear on this:
Did you simply swap the engine (crankcase, heads, etc) and are still running the original fuel injection and electronics, or did you swap an entire "drop-in" and are now trying to run your '09 with carbs?
If it's the former, you will at least need to do what several people already said and change the stator and pick-up, and maybe some wiring.
If it's the latter, you're probably in for a world of hurt before you can get it running, i.e. electronics, wiring harness, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no, my 09 locked up and was gonna rebuild then found a 06 motor at a good deal(so I thought) so its a motor swap. I called the friend today that has the shop and he said that the guys we bought the engine from has already sold my 09 motor (a bit quick but o well) looks like I'm f***ed again. I didn't rebuild my 09 motor to save a lil money but looks like I'm out even more now..... this sucks big time. I'm gonna have to buy the rotor and stator now and that's not cheep. O well, I guess I'll just have to let it sit and rot for now till I get up some more $$$'s
If anyone knows where I can get this stuff for the 08-09 brute let me know.....Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts

I, and probably others, are still not clear on this:
Did you simply swap the engine (crankcase, heads, etc) and are still running the original fuel injection and electronics, or did you swap an entire "drop-in" and are now trying to run your '09 with carbs?
If it's the former, you will at least need to do what several people already said and change the stator and pick-up, and maybe some wiring.
If it's the latter, you're probably in for a world of hurt before you can get it running, i.e. electronics, wiring harness, etc.
I'll ask again; are you now running fuel injection, or carbs???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
O snap!!! sorry bout that. I'm running the fuel inj. I only swapped the motors. Everything else stayed the same.....I don't know who to be pissed off at, the friend has been a mechanic for a long time and he has never swapped motors like this. I guess the guys that sold the motor should have know that the 06 was diff. but took all the stuff I needed anyway. All I know is, I'm without a ride and pissed off cause I have to dish out more $$$ to get this thing running.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys, I'm a lil better now. Brett sold me what I needed and I'll hope to get this thang running soon. I'll let ya all know what happens and Thanks much for all your input.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts