Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if this is serious or not but I had it taken to a shop begause I couldnt keep it running. I thought it was maybe a fouled spark plug of something with the choke. It was hard to get started and would not idle. The mechanic said that he has to adjust my front valve and he can not do it until tomorrow when the cylinder is cold. He said it came from running it on the drag strip wide open. Is this going to be a serious issue or what. Just a little worried about what it can be.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
Tell the mechanic he's full of shit. If the valves have started to sink, it's a common occurance on stockers. May just need adjusted

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I hope thats all it is. Is there something that I can do to prevent this from happening. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Clean or change your air filter regularly...
Check it before each ride...
Change your oil and filter regularly...
Check the oil level before you start it at each ride...
Use good oil, personally I use synthetic...
stay off the rev limiter...
none of these things will stop normal engine wear.
all engines need periodic adjustment...
if they didn't...they wouldn't HAVE an adjustment.
but they will prevent PREMATURE wear and failure.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
Well, I hope thats all it is. Is there something that I can do to prevent this from happening. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.
nope, nothing you can do to prevent the valves from sinking. They are just crappy stock valves, IMO

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Monk...not to derail, but this is not the first time I have read this from you.
I am not trying to start a flame war...
This Q is for MONKEY...
When I get my heads redone for my 800bbk what brand/setup would YOU reccomend to prevent this "sinking" problem?
I am genuinely asking...
I know some people get on your case for your opinions...
I'm NOT going to be one of them...
I think there's more than one "right" way to things.:D
I'll prolly go stock size or maybe +1...
What springs?
any info/opinion is welcome.
Thanks, Ed3

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
get a good valve job and some ss valves if you don't mind spending the extra for ss valves

don't think it really matters as to the brand of valves, I just think it's the stock valves that are soft.... or a combination of that and a bad factory seat cutter

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
The valve job will help ALOT more than just replacing the stock valves for "better" ones. I had Glenn (AMR) work on the heads of my old V and til this day (3 years) they have not give any problems.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Thanks guys...
I was prolly going with AMR anyway...
you just confirmed it.
Does Glenn do his own machining?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts