Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this site and looking for some tips for my 05 prairie 360 4x4. Got hammered with 20in of snow this weekend and was plowing my driveway and kept getting stuck. Im sure there are better tires than stock for plowing but too many to chose from. Looks like the quad could use a little more ground clearance too. So do I buy a taller tire, say 27in or install a 2 inch lift ? Was looking at Kenda bear claw or ITP 589. I will need a new set of rims also because in the sring/summer I use this quad to pull our race cars back to the pits so I can't be using a mud tire with 1in. deep tread on the pavement 6 months out of the year. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Craig

·
Registered
259 Posts
ive got a set of 28" mudlites for sale asking $325obo there about 95%

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kenda Bear Claw

The Bear Claw is a really good tire for the money and not overly aggressive with deep lugs. Handle very well on the trail to. They are exceptional in the snow especially if you go a few inches taller and 2 inches wider front and rear. I picked up a brand new set for like $250. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i had a set of itp 589 m/s on a 02 praire 650 you can not wear them out. i sold the bike to a friend they are still like new i use to pull cars at a race track drove on asphault concrete everything ithink mine were 27" they dont bounce bad eithera little bit at slow speed i ride in mud alot they did good they run a little small in size get on some 4 wheeler sites and ask people thats what i would get

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have run the 589's on my 02 650 prairie since it was new.They are fine on the pavement up to 45 then the front end gets a little shaky from the lugs but you probably don't pull the race cars that fast.They wear great .I still have the original set on mine.As for more clearance,you need to go with a bigger tire because with the straight rear axle lifting alone won't give you more clearance.You can go up to 27's without lifting .I have a lift and 28's and have never been stuck.If you go taller on the tires just remember to change the springs in the clutch so you won't lose any pulling ability when you pull the car.After you decide what hieght tire you want do a search here to get the right color code spring for the clutches.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys, I will look into the 589's in 27in. where's the best place to buy tires? Thanks Craig

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I would get the bear claws. Better traction for snow plowing and some what lighter.
The 589 i think would be to much for a Prairie 360.
26" would be best for your set up also. Your stock tire are like slicks in the snow.
Any tire would be better then stock.

·
Registered
259 Posts
no interest in my mudlites??? there cheaper than buying new ones

·
Registered
99 Posts
try different sites like rocky mountain atv some places have free shipping thats whats expensive i found tires local in my area i saved like 130.00 just checkiung different dealers around laporte tx. just google atv tires and look them up i think itp makes the 589 m/s tires

·
Registered
17 Posts
I burned the belt on my Brute Force last weekend hunting in about 15 inches of snow and borrowed a Polaris from a buddy. That thing had Maxis Bighorns on it and man that tire strait gets after it. After that ride in the snow I will buy a set. Guy I was hunting with was riding a Griz with factory rubber and he had to get a running start at small hills. Those Bighorns would just dig and crawl. Dont know what everyone else thinks about the but I am sold.

Everyone is saying Mudlites those are awsome tires for the money to. Light and with that steady tread down the center are as comfortable on packed dirt as they are in the mud. Good clean ride. I'm not sure how the bighorns will ride on the roads yet hope they meet my expectations there to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Itp 589

The 589 is a mud/snow tire. They r a good tire for that, but that is about it. If you are going bigger I would stay with a more versatile tire, especially on your Praire. The 589 is a pretty serious piece of rubber to turn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got 26'' mud-lites on my 650BF.I got them from kgmotorcycletires.com.They also have free-shiping.Also Summit Racing sells atv tire too.I see you race at Atco,I race at Cecil-County on Sundays.I use to come up to Atco untill they raised the tolls and the price of Diesel went up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would get the bear claws. Better traction for snow plowing and some what lighter.
The 589 i think would be to much for a Prairie 360.
26" would be best for your set up also. Your stock tire are like slicks in the snow.
Any tire would be better then stock.
I'd say the same,I've got Bear Claws on my P-650 and love'm,had them since 02 and still kick'n it,they can't be stopped.My buddy went with the mudlites on his 450es because they're lighter,seem to be ok too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wound up buying the 26in. Kenda bear claws. They seem to be a good tire for the power the 360 has. They are heavier for sure and as tuff as nails.

·
Registered
281 Posts
my friend has bear claws and i have 589s we got 6 in of snow he couldnt keep from getting suck in drifts and just plain riding, myself i notched a 0 in the stuck column for a days worth of riding. Same with mud in the summer, honestly you couldnt pay me to put them hunks of rubber on my bike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts