Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for an intake cam for my Mojave 250 i will also buy rocker arms valve springs and valves if you have them. Located in hickory north Carolina. Also looking to trade entire four wheeler, offer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oiled my valves today and springs and they finally came free I can now press on the valve stem with my thumbs and push them open but it seems like the valve springs are very stiff,not moving before I got the hammer out even. The face on the intake rocker arm is ground down by the cam lobe which was eaten away so bad that it is almost a perfect circle. Would sending both my cams in and rocker arms for hardfacing/reshaping + new stainless steel valve and springsfor 600 sound good?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If the cams are that bad, I'm not sure they can be reworked. Better check on that first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the cylinder back from machine shop going to assemble engine tomorrow and see how it goes with the worn cam still in it. Going to put new piston in tonight. Hopefully it will run now that I went .020 over and fixed the carb leak at the overflow tube in the carb bowl by brazing alumnlinum over the hole on the outside of the bowl to stop it from ever leaking again haha. Will buy a new intake cam if necessary just don't want to drop another $250 on one cam

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but you didn't fix the leak, only redirect it. The float valve is probably worn and letting the fuel level get too high in the bowl. You are just going to fill the intake and airbox with gas now. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience on that one.

It will probably run with the worn cam, but power will fall flat very quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Patience will save you $

I rebuilt a trashed 98mojave last year... had to replace cams, rocker, valves, valve seals and etc. the best advice i can give on cams and rockers is to check ebay once a day for parts. I ended up getting a great set of stock cams (both intake and exhaust) for 150$, and both rockers for 50$ with no noticeable wear on them. It took a while, but i did save some cash waiting for the right price. Just make sure the seller will send detailed pics of the cams/rockers before you buy them. Once installed and the bike is running you have to check valve clearances. I dont wait until i hear the tick....i check clearances every other oil change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reassmbled the engine, the timing was right, but now it will not kickstart with the new piston in it. I am going to try cleaning the carburetor today and see if it won't crank. Right now it backfires really loud when every third kick nor so. I might cave in and buy cams+rocker arms this summer they are just so damn hard to find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hooked it to my buddies truck and roll started it. within 10 seconds of pulling i was off on my own cruising at around 2000 rpm it ran so smooth but it died as soon as i slow down to idle and will not kick start. I shall call is my drag only mojave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I adjusted my valves and it starts first kick even with a worn cam but the top end power feels like it needs a 6th gear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts