Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was out at Glamis on Halloween weekend. My buddy has a Honda 400ex thats has a BBK and is piped. He kicked my ass by 5-6 quad lengths every time up Olds. I would get him out of the shoot, but he would catch me half way up and keep going. Check out my sig line for mods. Whats next for me???? Bigger Carbs, BBK, NOS??? Any help is appreicated. Thx!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
seems like it, or play with clutch springs. what do you wiegh, i have the same problem with a buddys 80lb son on a stock z400, but not 5-6 bikes. 5XXlbs + 265lbs= beat

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
How much you want to spend???!! I'd say a BBK first, then some suspension upgrades, then biggers carbs, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm about 220 lbs. I just got my VFJ clutch today and put it on. I need bigger paddles which will be next. I don't mind spending some $$$ to go fast just want to spend wisely.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I'm about 220 lbs. I just got my VFJ clutch today and put it on. I need bigger paddles which will be next. I don't mind spending some $$$ to go fast just want to spend wisely.
Well if there is one thing these guys are good at it's "Helping you spend your money":p:p---Wisely:clap::clap:

Kenny

·
Registered
363 Posts
well if you dont mind spending money then a bbk is a sure fire way to beat that honda. would also agree with what psi700 said and get a muzzy super pro to go with the bbk. depending on setup that should almost double your stock horsepower, that should be more than enough to beat any 400ex.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
look in the for sale, 24" edges cheap. they work great, thats what i run in sand

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I think ditching the Sand Star paddles for some 24" Skat Traks would help a lot but may not be enough yet. I would get the paddles before going to the BBK. You'll want the paddles regardless.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx for the help everyone...my next step will be the paddles for sure. Whats a good size BBK for maintaining my bikes dependability?

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Even a stock bore engine kit will make a Huge difference. Other than that, the 730 or 800 kits are plenty reliable.

Definately go to a 24 or 25 inch rear paddle tire. The additional roll out alone will gain you a quad length. Between the clutch and taller paddles, you will notice significant gains.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I only got one chance to try my 25x12-10 10-paddle Skat Trak Extremes yet but I like them a lot so far and I really don't think they are too much paddle for my stock bore motor with +4 swingarm. I don't think you will be able to fit a 25" paddle with the stock heel guards unless you have an extended swingarm.

In my opinion, go with a 24" 9-paddle Extreme or Edge if you are not extending the swingarm and 25" 10-paddle Extreme or Edge if you are.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
not only the rollout and taller size, the fact that they wiegh next to nothing makes a huge difference as well. less rotational mass means more power transfered to the terrain

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Don't forget to get a set of UPP crossover intakes, Best power per $ you can get with stock carbs for sure.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
that will already make a difference with the right spring!!! maybe in your case orange/blue with stock weights

Code:
Today 02:41 AM   	wapiti1 	 		 		Don't forget to get a set of UPP crossover intakes, Best power per $ you can get with stock carbs for sure.
that will help too, as well as the twin air cage set up, with the 02 velocity stacks

if you look in the ''VFJ'' section, you will find one of these internally stock 700 kawie motors making 50rwhp
:D sure to sort out the 400ex

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
I would suggest an engine kit for sure

I just put a Fundy std bore kit in my 08 no springs required and it runs really good I was really impressed with the performance versus price

Granted it is no rocket ship but I gaurentee it will run over that 400ex

1 - 17 of 17 Posts