Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...ive been signed up on here for a while now, checkin out all your sweet 700s(+).

having some issues with mine and cant seem to find anyone decent in Las Vegas to work on it and not too skilled to try myself.

are there any of you in vegas, if so, where is a good place to take it??

bigRON

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I am sure that the members on here will be more than happy to help you as much as they can over the internet.

what issues are you having?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i bought my 06 last year used from a place called Ride Now. it had aftermarket exhaust on it(dual big guns). well i ran fine for most of the time. but then i had problems with it starting. so a friend helped me adjust the intake valves and it was good to go. then i took it up to utah(panguitch to be exact) and attempted to ride it. well it ran like crap(super fat), sucked gas and did not run at 100% and actually got to a point where the bike would stay running, but no power was being generated(at about 8500ft.) well i coasted it down the hill, probably about half a mile, ended up creating power again. so it made me think i had jetting problems at higher elevations. so got it back to vegas and took it out on a ride, still was running really bad. so i took it to a shop and had them rejet it. come to find out, the jets were not correct to match with the biggun, so he re did it. got it home and the motor seemed to be really good making passes up the street. along with him doing the work, he said that the drive belt is supposed to have 1.25" play or up to and said that mine had 3" of play. that would mean that the thing has to not even be attached, so how the hell does it spin the tires???? so he wants like 100 bux to buy the belt and then another 200 to put it in and im not really feelin that.

so i just want someone that knows about this beast to give me a heads up, maybe ride it, and tell me whats going on. and if that person can work on it, id be willing to pay, long as the problem/s are handled.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
As far as jetting goes, you can learn to re-jet the carbs yourself. It's very simple.

Kawasaki KFX 700 V-Force Page has a tutorial on how to change your jets.

A good place to buy jets is

Keihin Small Round Main Jets - Chaparral Motorsports

That is the link to where to buy THE CORRECT jets for our carburetors. What elevation do you normally ride? About 4500-8000 ft? That's up there...

Do not pay anyone $200 to change the belt. That's a complete ripoff.

Some things to keep in mind, buy OEM belts from a 2009 KFX700, they are made from a better compound and are the strongest and most reliable belt you can buy.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
isnt metal from nevada??? or arizona? one of those states he'd be your closest bet for help i believe

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Sounds like a lot of small and different problems. We'll all help you on here if you break the probs down. where does it run bad. Idle, just off throttle, mid or full throttle? Have you read your plugs?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
hey Dale Jr is out that way..........

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think the jetting is where its supposed to be, at least for here(mid 2000ft) and down at the dunes(1200 ft and below). i guess my question on the jetting is "does the beast have to be re-jetted to go to higher elevations?" as far as the kit that was used, it was the moose stage 1 kit.

i would say that from mid to full throttle, it seems a lil guttless.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Find a dealership and get an oem belt for around $65 bucks and do a search for changing the belt on here. I can't remember the link for it, but it shows you step by step how to do it. I'm sure someone will post the link. I was not that sound with the tuning when I first got mine, but with all the people on here and step by step links, you should be able to do most of what you need easily. The people on here are great, I got all the help I needed to do the 12 hole mod, install my muzzy super pro and rejet from this site. Save the $ that you would pay this guy for more mods:D:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
By the way do you recognize where I'm at in my avatar:tup:

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
i think the jetting is where its supposed to be, at least for here(mid 2000ft) and down at the dunes(1200 ft and below). i guess my question on the jetting is "does the beast have to be re-jetted to go to higher elevations?" as far as the kit that was used, it was the moose stage 1 kit.

i would say that from mid to full throttle, it seems a lil guttless.
Jetting will optimize performance in altitude, but it shouldn't make it fall all over itself unless it was rich to start with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, that would be the crazy girls monument they have set up at the riviera, i work pretty close to there.

well my first attempt to work on it myself will be hopefully this weekend or next week. i will get a oem belt for it and see how she rolls.

thanks for your help everyone. i will start making regular visits to the page.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well put the belt on it, no luck.
was just doing some research in the jetting area.
im running the biggun dual exhaust and a k&n airfilter.
the jet kit i was told to get was the stage 1, but after reading the description for a stage 2, im almost thinking i should be running that.

whats your thoughts???

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Lose the "stage 1 or 2" thinking. You just buy jets and #4 brass washers to go under the needles if you need them.

You need to adjust your secondary clutch to tighten the belt up if it's too loose.

A new primary spring would help you alot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i got ya man.
remember, i have no mechanical experience, working on cars or quads.

where would you recomend i get the jets?
what jets should i be purchasing?

the belt is good, put the new oem one on and check the play according the manual, 22mm.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What part of Vegas do you live in? I'm new to these bikes and this site but have mechanical experience and am willing to help. Just had to remove the heads on mine to have an air box screw removed from the intake valve.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
ok, i got ya man.
remember, i have no mechanical experience, working on cars or quads.

where would you recomend i get the jets?
what jets should i be purchasing?

the belt is good, put the new oem one on and check the play according the manual, 22mm.
I have the jets

3.00 each plus 1.75 shipping for 1 or a 100

1 - 20 of 25 Posts