Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the Kawie forums. I have a 400ex, which is a good quad, but I'm also a tall guy. So, I'm looking at eventually stepping up to one of the 700's (KFX700, Raptor 700, or 700xx). I know that they're all very different quads, and each has their fan base, so I'm not looking to start any wars ;-). I'm just interested in what were your deciding factors in choosing the KFX over the others. Automatic? V-twin? Also, do you find the weight to be an issue when riding in sand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I chose mine because I hate shifting, yeah the KFX is heavy but honestly it pulls its weight VERY well. Also, the KFX's are fairly cheap to obtain and are fun to modify.

It depends on what you are choosing it for, if you ride A LOT of trails and jump your quad quite a bit I wouldn't go with the KFX.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sold my z400 completely decked out to get the v-force,all I do is cross country race,I had a auto clutch in my Z400,after doing 5 races on my V with gt thunder elite shocks and gt thunder revalve rear shock,stage 3 clutch, and dalton blue spring I won't go back to a sport quad again. Yes its heavy ,at the end of races you are whipped, but the smile you have on your face during the race is worth it.Don't have a problem keeping up with the 450's in the woods either. I give it 2 thumbs up:tup:

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I just rode about 100 miles of wide open and very tight trails this past weekend with my green V with a 400EX (with 416 BBK), Raptor 660, and a Raptor 700. I was right with them all the time except for in the very tight trails. I know my extended swingarm was most of the problem but I think the extra weight hinders it a bit in the tight stuff. In the wide open, I think it would be a toss up. In the tight trails, the KFX700 may not be the best choice unless you you want the automatic. The Raptor 700 just seemed quite a bit more nimble in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Rkangel welcome to KR

self made a similar switch over, however self went from a Honda TRX300EX to the kfx700, at 1st was not too impressed as it took a bit of getting used to, the extra weight and power!!
the riding style is different, with the kfx learned to use the throttle to steer witch was not necessary to do with the 300!!

on the long rides, have a little different outlook and experience to what mentioned here, we enjoy doing very long rides, the longest ride that I ever did with the V was 348km in a afternoon/night ride (the 658km in one day was done with the wifes BF!!) and when we stopped the were guys with Z400(stock) z440(full of extras incl fancy shocks) Trx300 trx400, they felt broken, self felt great, the bigger quads are better on the longer rides!! our experience
self am unfit and about 300lb and over 1.8m tall

the Auto is great, and would go any other way!!
always in the right gear is a huge thing!!

if i had to decide again, would take a V again with out hesitations, could look at the renegade, however price is huge, where we from more then double the price of the V

heavy in the sand, in witch way????
if you get stuck, yes they are heavy to lift and move, its not a small sports quad!!
is it heavy in the sand to ride, would not say so, the extra weight could even help some with traction!!
and again IMO does not get stuck as easy as the manual shift quads, from what we have seen at least!!

as for the V twin, well that is an amazing sound

reliability, have had no major issues
just the normal maintenance thing and think close to 6000km and 3 years
so far:
choke got stuck - common issue when new sorted and perfect since, dealer sorted it out
swing arm bearing - replaced self, also easy to do!! too much water and mud crossing
Belt deflection - done it once, recently
front wheel bearings - precaution
normal oil and filters

if you chose a V, you wont regret it!!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts