Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I just got a new Dirt Wheels a few min. ago and it just happen to have a Brute Force 750 owners report. It was interesting to see the feed back on the Brute from the owners over the past 8 years. A bigger engine isn't something they were interested in.:(
It's hard to believe, but the industry still claims the best selling category is the 500cc class utility. Seems all we hear about though is 1k this and 1k that.......

Not for me. My 700 consumes enough fuel as is! :eek:

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
The popularity of the 500cc machines is more based on the price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's hard to believe, but the industry still claims the best selling category is the 500cc class utility. Seems all we hear about though is 1k this and 1k that.......

Five of my buddies bought new quads over say the past 8 months or so, and 4 out of 5 of them bought 500's and i was shocked... Once you try one of the Big bores and get a taste for it, whether Kawi or Cannam, i don't see how you could ever go back! :D

·
Super Moderator
9,442 Posts
I would say a 2 seater.
It could very well be that. That market is growing.
Hmmm...they are not popular in my area. I can't recall ever seeing a 2-seater ATV on the trails (or anywhere else for that matter).

As far as I can tell, the SxS market is hot right now and growing fast (not ATVs). In fact, my local XC series has 5 classes for SxS's...a year ago there were only 2 classes!

·
Registered
152 Posts
can only wish

Can't wait to see.... :tup:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts

Five of my buddies bought new quads over say the past 8 months or so, and 4 out of 5 of them bought 500's and i was shocked... Once you try one of the Big bores and get a taste for it, whether Kawi or Cannam, i don't see how you could ever go back! :D
I fully agree, but I have to admit, there are places that my 350 Yammie Wolverines will go with ease that my 700 would end up a ball of twisted metal if I tried to take it there! The smaller machines don't have the thrill of the power factor, but it is amazing what a machine will do when it's 200 or 300 pounds lighter and an inch narrower. And I can put 2.5 gallons of gas in those 350's and it will last a week of riding. My 700 uses a 5 gallon can about every day or two. If I want to go on a 75 mile ride (really common around here), I have to pack extra gas on the Prairie. Don't even have to think about it with the Wolverines.;)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Hmmm...they are not popular in my area. I can't recall ever seeing a 2-seater ATV on the trails (or anywhere else for that matter).

As far as I can tell, the SxS market is hot right now and growing fast (not ATVs). In fact, my local XC series has 5 classes for SxS's...a year ago there were only 2 classes!
It could be a regional thing I guess. Last week in Moab, I saw probably a dozen two-up machines on one trail alone. And I'd bet half of them were not carrying a passenger either! That might sound like they were not being used as intended, but the reason is that they are a bit more stable on those steep, slickrock hills because of the longer wheelbase. And they will go up and over taller steps than a regular atv. They definitely have their place.

But you are right, far and away the best selling market right now is the SXS market. And it has been for several years. It's brought in a whole new crowd of OHV enthusiasts. On that same trail in Moab, I'd bet we saw 40-50 atv's, 12 two-ups, 100 motorcycles, and probably 150 SXS. If you're an OHV manufacturer and you don't offer a competitive SXS these days, you are not going to be around very long!

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I fully agree, but I have to admit, there are places that my 350 Yammie Wolverines will go with ease that my 700 would end up a ball of twisted metal if I tried to take it there! The smaller machines don't have the thrill of the power factor, but it is amazing what a machine will do when it's 200 or 300 pounds lighter and an inch narrower. And I can put 2.5 gallons of gas in those 350's and it will last a week of riding. My 700 uses a 5 gallon can about every day or two. If I want to go on a 75 mile ride (really common around here), I have to pack extra gas on the Prairie. Don't even have to think about it with the Wolverines.;)

LOL.. I found all that to be true with my Wolverine too...Really miss that gas millage...sometimes.. and I too remember taking some hill-side single-track trails that if it was any wider, it would have ended up a ball of recycle at the bottom...can't even think about suck trails with the Brute.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Kawasaki needs to come out with something to compete with the scrambler and renegade with the HP to go with it.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
They also need to update the Prairie 360. It looks like it was ten years outdated ten years ago! Or just give the 300 Brute 4 wheel drive and stick the 360 engine in it.........;)

·
Super Moderator
9,442 Posts
Ignoring the SxS offerings for a minute, it appears to me that the Honda, Yamaha, Artic Cat and CanAm ATV manufacturers have a more complete ATV line-up (including various sizes of both sport and ute quads) vs. the more limited ATV line-up from Kawasaki, Polaris and Suzuki.

As I recall, Kaw. and Suz. had that deal back in 2004-2005 where they produced certain ATVs for each other to sell (Kaw. was allowed to sell the Suz. Z-400 and Suz. was allowed to sell the Kaw. Prairie 700). I think they probably did that to fill in the holes in their respective ATV line-up. I wonder if they will do something like that again in the future? Seems to me that both of these companies are still in the same boat with respect to their limited ATV line-up.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It seems to me that Kawasaki is still faring much better than suzuki is right now.Suzuki is struggling.I also agree that the smaller atvs definitely have there place but i'm a hp junkie and will never downsize.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would bet that since they now have the Teryx 800 they are not far away from a Brute Force 800. Work on the suspension and ugly front end would be nice too!
They already have several SXS and besides John said ATV not UTV. One of the guys I ride with just got a Polaris 2up. 2nd time out with him and he smoked a belt. Warned him! Maybe adding one of these as they are becoming popular in my area. 3 great state parks here only 1 allows SXSs on them. You also can't have a passenger unless you have a factory 2up machine.

·
Registered
718 Posts
800 wont get the job done. Need to jump to a 900 or 1k with hp#'s reaching 80.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I say 850 2up ATV with fox shocks and a price tag up there to go wit it

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
800 sport 4wd atv. Anything less and I lose all faith and confidence in their competence.
And at least Fox shocks. Anything else would be a joke and an insult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
If they go with the 800 in the brute it wouldn't be a big surprise seeing how they produce them now. I agree with many of the other posts. Gotta see a 900 or 1k! The longer kawi holds off on the 900 or 1k, the more customers they are going to lose...
Read a post earlier that I agree with also. A kfx 800 would be nice!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Typically what is done is a new engine is offered in small bore well under its capability, then in a few years they offer it in a bigger bore and bam! New engine and reason you need to buy one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 133 Posts