Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!! New member here and new owner of a fabulous brute force!!! So I’ve been lookin at them for a while doing research and I got my hands on an 08 750i with 140 miles and only 60 hours on it!!!! The machine is mint!!! So I very new to all this so please bare with me... I decided I’m going to do the VFJ msd with a full exhaust (not sure what brand yet) and I ordered his clutch springs. So the quad is stock with stock tires still, and he told me what springs I need. Now I’m going to get some newer tires in a year or so, and My question is, how do I know what size range tires to get so I don’t have to change my springs? I tried to understand VFJ but I could tell he didn’t have the time to sit down and explain the basics to me lol. I know there are a lot of discussions about this, but I couldn’t really understand any of it. I’m pretty much looking for a dumbed down version so I could understand. Thank you in advanced. Also, I just found out what stall means lol. I’m on my way!!
Again I apologize but I’m a fast learner and I promise you all that I’m trying!!!!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Really, first you need to have a basic understanding on how a CVT system works. There is lots of info and videos out there you can review. The problem at the moment is that John is a precise-tuner and you told him you had and were going to run the stock, light 25" tires. So he set you up with the exact springs for that need. Now you want to go with an aftermarket tire which even in the same size is much heavier. Well, to be correct you would need different springs. However if you can live with a little miss-match resistance, you can probably get away with 26" and a little more loss at 27" but after that...it's new spring-time for sure...unless John said these would be OK up to a certain size. Rotational mass is not your friend so keep the tire as light as you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really, first you need to have a basic understanding on how a CVT system works. There is lots of info and videos out there you can review. The problem at the moment is that John is a precise-tuner and you told him you had and were going to run the stock, light 25" tires. So he set you up with the exact springs for that need. Now you want to go with an aftermarket tire which even in the same size is much heavier. Well, to be correct you would need different springs. However if you can live with a little miss-match resistance, you can probably get away with 26" and a little more loss at 27" but after that...it's new spring-time for sure...unless John said these would be OK up to a certain size. Rotational mass is not your friend so keep the tire as light as you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I told him I would be eventually getting new tires and he told me that unless I get like huge mud tires, then my springs would be good. So I would basically need to get a similar size I guess. He said I could go up to like 27’s and be good. So any idea on what type of tires to get that are close to size? I would be doing mostly trail, and no serious mudding at all. Only mud I’m getting into is light mud from trails. I have the stock Dunlop tires 25x8x12 fronts and 25x10x12 rear. So it’s about the weight of tires? I’m trying my nest to understand and thank you for your help

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Ok. I told him I would be eventually getting new tires and he told me that unless I get like huge mud tires, then my springs would be good. So I would basically need to get a similar size I guess. He said I could go up to like 27’s and be good. So any idea on what type of tires to get that are close to size? I would be doing mostly trail, and no serious mudding at all. Only mud I’m getting into is light mud from trails. I have the stock Dunlop tires 25x8x12 fronts and 25x10x12 rear. So it’s about the weight of tires? I’m trying my nest to understand and thank you for your help
I had the lightest springs John made, and I thought they were too much for 26" Sti Black Diamond xtrs. Went to epi pink/almond combo and liked it much better. Gave my vfj's to a friend who runs 27" super mud tires on his p650 for plowing and he loves them. You will be fine with his springs and any <27.5" aftermarket radial.
One thing though...John will tell you his #1 primary has zero stall. Well, it doesn't. It's got more stall than an epi pink primary, and the epi pink has more stall than stock. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Ok then. Stay with 26" for trail riding..and although radials are best on Brutes, nothing wrong with a good bis ply like Dirt Commanders. There are now literally dozens of great tires out there now so take your time and start reading reviews.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok then. Stay with 26" for trail riding..and although radials are best on Brutes, nothing wrong with a good bis ply like Dirt Commanders. There are now literally dozens of great tires out there now so take your time and start reading reviews.
well thank you guys so much. I deeply appreciate it. So should I even install these then? Seems to me all I would be doing is gaining more stall. I mean, am I just better off staying with my stock springs? I just want to do anything to make my brute run right and strong (just like everyone else I’m sure lol)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
well thank you guys so much. I deeply appreciate it. So should I even install these then? Seems to me all I would be doing is gaining more stall. I mean, am I just better off staying with my stock springs? I just want to do anything to make my brute run right and strong (just like everyone else I’m sure lol)
I just ran some of your stock springs today in my high comp 732cc cammed and chipped Prairie with 26" Maxxis Vipr radials, and it was absolutely awesome. I'd bet those bf750 stockers will spin 27" trail radials just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ran some of your stock springs today in my high comp 732cc cammed and chipped Prairie with 26" Maxxis Vipr radials, and it was absolutely awesome. I'd bet those bf750 stockers will spin 27" trail radials just fine.
Awesome!!! Thank you. The tires I wanted to get were ITP mud lite XTR’s in the 25”. So I should be good to keep the springs then. They are a radial.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome!!! Thank you. The tires I wanted to get were ITP mud lite XTR’s in the 25”. So I should be good to keep the springs then. They are a radial.
And again, I’m learning so please bare with me and thank you for your patience

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
And again, I’m learning so please bare with me and thank you for your patience
The XTRs are a great tire. Loved mine except for two things-1, cactus needles get through all the time causing flats and 2, they trenched-in too much on deep sand hills. The also left heavy marks on trails so it's was hard to "tread-lightly" with them. Used to call my Brute with them my rototiller...lol. Otherwise great tire, great ride. Think I still have some pics somewhere....yeah there were 26x9&11x14s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow those tires do look nice!!! I’m so glad you have experience with them cause couple things I’d love to know. So like I said before I’ll be doing mostly trail riding and only mud I’ll be doing is mud on trails. How are they on pavement? I do Ride some pavement getting to and from, is it a nice smooth ride? Fast tires? I also do love speed 😉

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Wow those tires do look nice!!! I’m so glad you have experience with them cause couple things I’d love to know. So like I said before I’ll be doing mostly trail riding and only mud I’ll be doing is mud on trails. How are they on pavement? I do Ride some pavement getting to and from, is it a nice smooth ride? Fast tires? I also do love speed 😉
Well, that's the one other thing I didn't like was that like many with a tall, mud-capture-type tread they shook very bad above 30mph. It's called cow-toeing. Adjusting the toe-in to zero helps but it still very bad. Bought a set of Baja Cross...did almost the same thing. That was the reason I stopped buying ITP tires. And they wore fast on pavement but not any faster then any other like them. Smooth ride though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh wow ok. So what would you reccommend then? There are so many fires out there my head is spinning lol. What would you recommend for a radial that is good for trail and not bad on pavement? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for all the help. This site is truly amazing

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Man I don't know your riding style or area. So many to look at and so many great tires out there. You can always go with any of the old standards like the ITP TerraCross or their Blackwater Evolution or the Kenda Bearclaw HTRs or GBC Dirt Commanders. I ended up with GBC Grim Reapers and loved them for my riding but they are expensive and a bit heavy...and to get 11s you need 14" wheels at the time. Maxxis also makes some decent tires people like like their Zillas and Bighorns. Here's mine when I just put the Reapers on back in 2012. Wow how time flys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts