Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, hope someone has experience with this. A very good widow friend bought a new 2021 Mule with the single cylinder engine. She hasn't got a tank of fuel through it and it started to run rough and had the dealer come out and pick it up. They told her the plug was fouled and put a new plug it and brought it back. It ran fine for about 5 minutes and started to act up again. She lives out in the toolies and asked me to look at it. I pulled the plug and it was fouled with black soot, I cleaned it and put it back in, but no joy, I also pulled the air cleaner to look at it and it was clean and unobstructed. The plug didn't have fuel on it, just black carbon like it was running very rich. If I had to guess I'd say too much fuel pressure or bad fuel mapping. It doesn't get any better with full throttle. Dealer told her to let it idle for 15 minutes which I've never heard of before.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wild guess, is she using the seat belt? New ones go to "governed" or "limp" mode if the seat belt is not buckled. Just my wild guess. :unsure:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could very well be it, I know my Can Am Commander is like that. I didn't think to ask her that sense it's a given on newer machines. I'll ask her. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a Mule Pro MX and would also suggest checking the seat belt. When the guy dropped it off he thought it was broken because it drove so badly. The symptom feels like a problem with the engine; I guess that's what happens with something governed at 10MPH instead of 120MPH like a car. What was weird to me is that it seems to kick in if you are going 5-6MPH and accelerating. Like it anticipates you might go over 10 so it has to stop early.

The plug fouling would concern me though...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Call the dealer again and tell them to pick it up as they didn't fix the problem. I doubt it is caused by a seatbelt or even parking brake as that won't allow over 7 MPH and I think it limits the injector pulse

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
69 Posts
Single cylinder engine it's probably the 610 SX models, some of them have trouble with the plug fouling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Pro MX is a single cylinder engine also. I never had an issue with the 610 fouling a plug. If it is fuel injected someone should check the engine temp sensors, if they read cold it will keep pumping extra fuel in

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses, I asked her if she was using the seatbelt and she said no not while riding around on her property. She said that was the problem, I'm surprised it would foul the plug, but the good news it works just fine now. She's a happy camper, but did give the dealer a few choice words for not telling her that in the walk through. Yes she probably could have read that in the owners manual. but she relied on the dealer to get her started. She's all alone on her place and an hour and a half from me and I'm much more comfortable knowing she can rely on it to plow snow and handle her firewood trips.Thanks again for the responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts