Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the atv scene for about 13yrs (went the utv route) but have owned and worked a fair share of wheelers (except steering shafts)
Yesterday one of my boys was on a Prairie 650, flipped it, bent the handle bars and upon us trying to pull them the steering shaft broke right even with the top bearing. I can find used shafts but how in tarnation does the shaft come out? I've started removing front plastic but that's as far as I've got. Also I can not find the dang vin, i've looked on the frame under the engine and between the engine and front tires.. The seat has a sticker that has 2002 but I'd like to know for sure. TIA and I appreciate any and all help..

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The vin should be on the frame right behind the lower left front a arm.
The steering shaft upper bearing/bushing support should unbolt, and split apart.
The bottom of the steering shaft has a large nut you will need to remove the cotter pin and the nut - also will need to remove the inner tie rod ends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks any shortcuts or tips you can offer? I assume I'll have to remove all the front end plastic?
thanks again. I thought about tig welding but it's right at the top of the bearing. And is there different part numbers for this steering tube? i found 39114-1087 but then saw a -1090 listed for an 02 650 too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts