Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

New (replacement) Belt Break-in?

14K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  VTwinKawi 
#1 ·
I just put a new belt in my 2005 BF 750. I did the upgrade to a Teryx belt and it fits fine. Here's the question. OK, I've heard about breaking in new machines. 10 hours of various throttle and speed but not wide open. But is that for the belt or the engine or everything? What do you guys do/recommend for a new replacement belt?:confused:

FYI my old belt disintegrated into 27 pieces.:mad: First time I've been into the transmission/CVT. Little intimidating but not as bad as I thought. All back together, belt light reset procedure done, and I think ready to go. And yes, I does drive! Trust me I was sweating bullets and hoping! Just want to make sure I don't have to redo everything I just did.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Just drive it!

#5 ·
Yeah just drive it. Especially with the Teryx belt. I however always take some ScotchBrite to the sheaves and like to run the new belts up and down them about 30 times in low range to mate the surfaces but that's probably old-school and not necessary. I've had good luck with it so being an old-fart I'll probably keep doing it. You will love the Teryx belt. Mine has not stretched like all the OE before it.

#6 ·
Ha, I put on a new belt once in the trailer at the Moab dunes and immediately went out and gunned it in the sand for the next two days straight with no problems. That was 6000 miles ago.;)

#7 ·
agree with the scotch brite if you can, or some 4-600 sand paper and some brake clean. alot of times if the other belt has been on there a while there will be some build up especially if it was squalling

#8 ·
Don't use brake clean on the clutch sheaves. You should be using just soap & water.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I didn't scotch bright them but I did use an old toothbrush and degreaser to clean up everything. There was a layer of oily black dust (I'm assuming the belt) all over everything! Now it's nice and shiny just like new!

Anything supposed to get greased or oiled in there? I wiped with DW40, the shaft and some of the bearing surfaces. Obviously nothing on the sheaves but what about the cams in the clutch?

#10 ·
I didn't scotch bright them but I did use an old toothbrush and degreaser to clean up everything. There was a layer of oily black dust (I'm assuming the belt) all over everything! Now it's nice and shiny just like new!

Anything supposed to get greased or oiled in there? I wiped with DW40, the shaft and some of the bearing surfaces. Obviously nothing on the sheaves but what about the cams in the clutch?

Absolutely nothing can be on any part of the primary especially on any shaft, crank or hub. Not even fingerprint oil there! Clean it all with acetone and several clean rags now. You can dry-lube the weight pins and bushings with graphite but you MUST not allow any of the dust to get to the belt's contact surfaces. Otherwise clean them and use nothing. Same for the secondary except for the helix and pins. Those get fresh grease every time.

#11 ·
Soap leaves a residue, brake cleaner doesn't, that's the whole reason for brake cleaner

#13 ·
have not seen acetone that i can think of. brake cleaner is everywhere for cheap, walmart, parts stores, etc

#15 ·
LOL! I didn't lubricate the shaft or sheave. Nothing where the belt would contact. The only area was inside where the bolt goes. Did that and then wiped clean. Mainly trying to prevent any surface rust on anything internal. I didn't do too much because I was worried this could help the bolt back out. I did wipe the sheave down clean with acetone so I should be OK.

VTwinKawi, you wife probably has some acetone AKA fingernail polish remover. Wal-Mart and most auto parts stores carry it although they quit selling gallons because people were using it to make explosives or drugs or something. Anyways it's sold in quarts now but that last me a long time.

I never removed the secondary so I would not have been able to grease it. May do so next time the CVT cover is off.

Next project, cleaning to damn carbs! Wish me luck!

#17 ·
Not getting anything out of the house, sounds like a good way to get in trouble . Brake cleaner works good and I always have a few cans in the garage

#18 ·
Not getting anything out of the house, sounds like a good way to get in trouble . Brake cleaner works good and I always have a few cans in the garage
Smart..besides although fingernail polish remover has acetone in it, it also has stuff to slow the drying of the nails (oil)..plus is smells too..pretty..:cool:

#19 ·
cant cant have it smell pretty, either she likes smelling like swamp. would think that other stuff would stick on the clutch too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.