Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off im a newbie to the Atv world but I’ve narrowed it down to a KFX 700, anything I should look for? (For example one person said 2004 model had issues not sure if it was for that year or maybe he just got a lemon). Will be doing mostly desert trail riding in AZ so not very muddy. 6’1 215lb, looking for a automatic bike will this be a good bike for me? I like the sporty looks verse the utv. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,061 Posts
The last production year of the KFX 700 was 2009..that's 13 years ago. Although Kawasaki has been good about continuing to supply parts after the mandatory 10-year mark, there will come a time when it ends. Your choices for 2-wd sport quads with CVTs is almost non-existent. One I might look at is the Yamaha Raptor 700. Not a CVT but IMO a better bang for the buck in a sport quad...and they are still being made. Out on the AZ desert, at your size, might want the abilities of a Brute Force 750 instead though. 2-WD sports quads are fun on sand and quick trails but they are not comfortable on long rough rides and they have limitations on rocks and steep climbs like you have out there. Many years ago I did ride of your deserts down around Florence/ Superstition mountains and frankly...some of that (not all) is no place for a sport quad. If it were me, I'd keep my eye out for a 2015 or newer BF 750...just my opinion :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you end up getting

Reactions: J-Gonzalez

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last production year of the KFX 700 was 2009..that's 13 years ago. Although Kawasaki has been good about continuing to supply parts after the mandatory 10-year mark, there will come a time when it ends. Your choices for 2-wd sport quads with CVTs is almost non-existent. One I might look at is the Yamaha Raptor 700. Not a CVT but IMO a better bang for the buck in a sport quad...and they are still being made. Out on the AZ desert, at your size, might want the abilities of a Brute Force 750 instead though. 2-WD sports quads are fun on sand and quick trails but they are not comfortable on long rough rides and they have limitations on rocks and steep climbs like you have out there. Many years ago I did ride of your deserts down around Florence/ Superstition mountains and frankly...some of that (not all) is no place for a sport quad. If it were me, I'd keep my eye out for a 2015 or newer BF 750...just my opinion :)
I appreciate that feedback. I guess I’m looking to use this as more of a entry or beginner bike. Use it for a couple of year till I know what I truly want and if it’s good the keep it and pass it on to family or resell and get something better. I have a lot of friends that ride the dunes and hit desert trailer around where we live. Not to many big rocks to go over just speed and dirt lol imo those big utv remind me of farmers or dorks 🤣

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I appreciate that feedback. I guess I’m looking to use this as more of a entry or beginner bike. Use it for a couple of year till I know what I truly want and if it’s good the keep it and pass it on to family or resell and get something better. I have a lot of friends that ride the dunes and hit desert trailer around where we live. Not to many big rocks to go over just speed and dirt lol imo those big utv remind me of farmers or dorks 🤣
I think youd be happy with a a brute force. Personally I wouldn't get a raptor. If I were to get another sport quad I would get another yfz450. I dont like how the raptors sit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think youd be happy with a a brute force. Personally I wouldn't get a raptor. If I were to get another sport quad I would get another yfz450. I dont like how the raptors sit.
The newer ones are a lot nicer but can’t spend premium dollar on a bike right now. Thank I’ll check those out. Somebody else said a scrambler 500? But I’ve heard mixed/poor reviews about Polaris atvs…

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The newer ones are a lot nicer but can’t spend premium dollar on a bike right now. Thank I’ll check those out. Somebody else said a scrambler 500? But I’ve heard mixed/poor reviews about Polaris atvs…
I wouldnt buy anything polaris or canam.

Reactions: J-Gonzalez

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lots to think about there. I had a KFX400 a few years back and really liked it for blasting around in N AZ's forest roads. It was a shifter atv unlike the 700 KFX. I now have a Prairie 700 and can add a few things. Its heavy at 600lbs+, at 6'2" I cannot stand up and ride the rough stuff without being bent over a bit to reach the bars and with that having my neck cranked back to see where im going gets tiring. Im sure bar risers could be fit but the dash and plastic bar cover probably would have to come off. The fuel range even with 4.5 gallons is pretty bad IMO. I ran 35 miles in mixed snowy/muddy roads yesterday and burned about 3/4 of the tank. Granted the snow didnt help but even on dry hard packed @ 50+ miles of trails I bring a extra 2 gals of fuel. Id say that 700 with some paddles would be a blast in the dunes but in rocky trails and having 2wd only you'd be working it and yourself good. Far as Polaris goes...be aware of the older 500 HO and some others from what I read, and their cam problems. Based on personal experience on a ranch with UTV's and having a Victory MC, Id never own a Polaris product again based solely off customer service, corporate attitude,the problems I had with my stuff ans what I see with friends Polaris toys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang okay definitely no Polaris then and maybe I just have to jump in the deep end and learn manual shifting if that means getting a better bike out of it. I appreciate all the feedback! 👍🏼

1 - 9 of 9 Posts