Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2003 KFX 400 a few weeks ago.
I changed all the fluids pretty much, and got it ready for the dunes.
I took it to Silver Lake, and it did awesome there without paddles.
The size of the tires is 20-10-9, I want paddles, but I want new rims also but all I can find cheap is 20-11-10. If I bought them, would I see a difference in the way it drives or would it not be good for it? What do the numbers even stand for? like, tire size - diameter - something else?

Thanks, and sorry for the newbie question.

·
Registered
281 Posts
20 is how tall the tires are 11 is the rim size and 10 is the rim width. you would have to get new tires if you wanted to put the tires you had on those rims because they wont fit. and the only difference in the way it would drive is you would get more traction...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Actually the last number (10) is the rim diameter the second number (11) is the width of either the tread or the tire from sidewall to sidewall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So could I buy rims and paddles off that have the same tire height, (20) but a different tire width? Like instead of 10, have a 11 without any problems and the rim diameter 10 instead of 9? Or would I have to buy the same rims and paddles to fit 20x10x9?

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh thats what i thought but i wasn't sure...

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you're buying rims and tires together you can get any size you want as long as the tires don't rub anywhere throughout suspension travel. The time near to be 4 on 110 bolt pattern on the rear (most quads use this size with the exception of Yamaha). Fronts are 4 on 144 pattern. Good luck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you're buying rims and tires together you can get any size you want as long as the tires don't rub anywhere throughout suspension travel. The time near to be 4 on 110 bolt pattern on the rear (most quads use this size with the exception of Yamaha). Fronts are 4 on 144 pattern. Good luck.
yeah, what ^^ he said.
You'll be fine. Just try to stay away from heavy tire and wheel combos. The lighter the better. Be careful about the bolt pattern as some will tell you whatever you want to here....

Ideally you want the wheel size to be 8". Like a 20-11-8. Mostly what you will find will be 10 though.

I have some almost new Skat Trak Gliders (6-paddle) VERY light tire on 8' Douglas wheels. If I remember correctly they are 20-10-8's. Very good tire for stock or lightly modded Z.
$300 shipped...........
For what it's worth you should be able to find a set of decent used paddles on wheels for $150 no problem..........but they won't be what I got:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
20 is the tire diameter (height) --11 is the tread width -- and 9 is the rim diameter. You'll want tires no more than 2 inches wider or narrower than you current tire (10 or 11) if you're using your stock rims. You can go up to 22 tall on the 400's without rubbing the heel guards. For bolt patterns if your shopping for a full set of tires and rims front 4/144, rear 4/110 -- Many similar Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki sport quads use this pattern

1 - 9 of 9 Posts