Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post as I just took ownership of a severely abused 04 V. when i got it i was aware it had wiped the front cam, after changing that one, i was going over my work and noticed loose bolts in the rear cyl. area, further inspection revealed a wiped cam in the rear also. changed that one, replaced oil sending unit, and added a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Spinning over the engine with the starter does not register any pressure on the gauge. My question is should it? If so how much? any help or reply is much appriciated as I have a long automotive/mechanical background but this is my first atv/motorcycle. they are very different from what I'm used to.:confused:

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Welcome.

I get 20 or more out of mine. Depends how fast it turns over too. How much do you get while it's running?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20 psi @ starter crank ? Wow.
I don't know yet, I bought the machine in non-running condition. The service manual says 69.7 psi @ 4500 rpm @ 230*F so I installed an 80 psi mechanical guage. I simply insalled a brass tee where the oil pressure switch scews into the case next to the spin on oil filter. I used one outlet for the mechanical gauge and the other I reinstalled the electric swich for the "idiot" light.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
you probably shouldve done the rocker mod while u had it apart! i know you knew nothing about it, so its no biggie

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aaron, yes I want to do the rocker mod, and although I don't know the specifics, I did read a little about it on here while I've been info searching.
My thought was to return the quad to operational condition as it was before it broke, which was also before I took ownership. Then do some mods. I am still VERY puzzled as to why I can't get any oil pressure. I have even resorted to removing the fitting I installed @ the oil passage for the switch... no luck, still no oil flow. I am thinking oil screen is plugged or oil pump is bad, both require pulling the engine and splitting the case according to the manual....NOT a job a newbie like me wants to tackle a week into ownership. Any thoughts on another direction I should be going or looking?????

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know it's the bleeding obvious, but, does it have any oil in it?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 quarts Mobil 1 15-40 shows 1/8" over full on dipstick....no ? too obvious....we're all human and humans make mistakes!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seen it before:)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enlighten me if you would...seen what exactly????!!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
2qts you should be low. bike holds 2400ml, 963ml/qt! i think at least. thats what i always put in!

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Aaron, yes I want to do the rocker mod, and although I don't know the specifics, I did read a little about it on here while I've been info searching.
My thought was to return the quad to operational condition as it was before it broke, which was also before I took ownership. Then do some mods. I am still VERY puzzled as to why I can't get any oil pressure. I have even resorted to removing the fitting I installed @ the oil passage for the switch... no luck, still no oil flow. I am thinking oil screen is plugged or oil pump is bad, both require pulling the engine and splitting the case according to the manual....NOT a job a newbie like me wants to tackle a week into ownership. Any thoughts on another direction I should be going or looking?????

I have pulled a few 04's apart and the screen was in very bad shape

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OOOHHHH GOOOOOOOOD!!!! Well at least it's not a fluke. When you say "bad" do you mean the screen was plugged up with sludge,or was it corroded in some way? What are they made of ? It appears to be a metal screen with rubber bonded to the outer edges for sealing purposes. I wonder if the screen material is steel or aluminum???? If I had engineered it I would have specified stainless...then again I would not have burried a maintainence item deep inside the block so as to have to split the case to service it.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aaron, I believe you are correct, the manual says 2.3 quarts when dead empty. I had the oil plug out for two weeks while I was doing the cams so I figured 2 quarts would be enough for the oil pump to pick up the prime, then I would top it off according to the dipstick. The darn thing is NOT playing nice with others though!!! I don't think the other three tenths of a quart is causing a NO oil pressure condition....do you? Maybe worth a try????!!!!!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Before you add any more oil---Are you screwing the dipstick in all the way to measure---My honda you just stick it in---On the V Force it has to be screwed in, (that's screwy:p:p)

Kenny

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I didn't know that... but it's already showing 1/8" OVER full if I screwed it all the way in it would be MORE over full?????

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
No, I didn't know that... but it's already showing 1/8" OVER full if I screwed it all the way in it would be MORE over full?????

Screw it in and see what it reads---Be sure you have the correct dipstick---Is the filter installed---Drain it all out and measure what you have---Definitely something not right there---You don't want it over full---Does the oil look like something else is mixed with it.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
O.K.,tomorrow I'll drain all oil back out. Filter installed, brand new Fram 7317, but I still don't see how overfull would affect oil pump and keep it from pumping while cranking over with starter? Need to sleep now. Thanks to all for thier replys. Ed3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts