Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.
First of all sorry for the english but I'm using google translator that surely will make a horrible translation Italian/English (certainly less than my English)
let's start this loooong post.

I'm going to buy a used KFX 700, and I need suggestions on what to replace, what to change and which brands to go for restoring the KFX, to adapt it to my needs (long trips, asphalt and dirt road light), would use it daily.
In Italy is road legal the use of quad.
I would point to make any changes for lengthen the life of the v twin as possible while maintaining its performance much as possible.

The current owner was planning to use it on the track, so he started to make some changes, but having had an accident with a motorcycle in the meantime, may no longer use bikes or quad.
I list what I understand has been done to the KFX and all information I can (i'm not a mechanic, or an expert in mechanic so be patient).

The KFX is a '04 has about 5000km, the current owner for job makes maintenance of agricultural equipment engines, so he have at least well mantained the engine, the kfx responds quickly ( is on two wheels as if it were nothing).
in idle the sound is smooth, there are not oil leaks from motor, i noticed just a little bit of white smoke when turned on , (it was stopped for 2 months).
He sell it at a good price (at least for here) 4800 €, but dunno how much will cost me the works to make the baby right for me.

List of things done by current owner (and brands when i know it)
long travel front arms. (omnicompetition)
long rear axle. (do not know the brand)
full dual exhaust Yoshimura (race series full open)
anti-intrusion side steps (dwt)
bullbar front (dwt)
handlebar steel (RENTHAL short column (really short)
brake master cylinder with braided hoses
washable air filter (foam, no changes to the filter box)
gas-filled dampers (do not know brand)
lowering kit.
variator spring (unknown brand)
Obviously has eliminated (and sold) almost everything that would make the KFX road approved.
lights, direction lights, horns ..
He have removed also the controls on the handlebars (shift), there is a lever under the seat to put back gear ...

Fenders are maier (something that perplexes me is that were not bolted to the frame, but stops with bands, it is correct?)
And he removed the parking brake, but I have no idea if there is on the KFX.

Routine maintenance carried out regularly
extraordinary maintenance was the change of a front bearing.

I will certainly (i must) put a road approved exhaust, I found a MIVV for the KFX 700 (Stronger line) (the MIVV is a brand that usually works with ducati), but if anyone has any idea of brands than muzzy (he in Italy is not and is not usable on the street), i can watch ..
I thank you for any suggestions you can give me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
yes the kfx does come with a parking brake. the only thing i can add for long road trips would be the ims oversized gas tank..any muzzy questions and clutch performance questions contact vforcejohn he is a member here. he is also a vendor insterstate motorsports.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I'm not sure what you are asking? seems there is quite a few mods on it already

as far as pipes and Clutching. I have shipped exhausts and clutches to all over the world including Italy.

the cost is up there to ship it. but if you want the best. I can help you out.

I'll be out of town for the next week or so. so if you reply and I don't answer. I will as soon as possible. so bear with me while I deal with this B.S,

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what you are asking? seems there is quite a few mods on it already

as far as pipes and Clutching. I have shipped exhausts and clutches to all over the world including Italy.

the cost is up there to ship it. but if you want the best. I can help you out.

I'll be out of town for the next week or so. so if you reply and I don't answer. I will as soon as possible. so bear with me while I deal with this B.S,

John
John,
For sure is my bad if i'm not understandable, i try to elaborate the question better,
the mods done are "correct"? knowing the brands, for sure better than me, in your opinion, (and will be appreciated everyone opinion due to my ignorance) what you will do, to to make a kfx reliable on the long time, you would change the mods the actual owner, has done with something else? (i could not judge the mods the actual owner do so i reported all i know, and explained which use i would do of the kfx.)
For exhaust i'm scared i could'nt use it here on roads, thinking must be homologated for road in Italy, (near here police, is not too nice) but for the clutch could be interesting as u send parts here..
My idea is if needed, to "match" things i could not find easily here, (your clutch?) with suggested things i could find here, if something cost me less here, (i doubt) (for example that the ims tank in U.S cost $274, in italy E 348, so is more economical buying one in U.S than here... (shipping included.)
Scarecrow i watched the Ims, nice idea added as 1° thing to do :) nice suggestion.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not sure on legal exhaust.. But maybe leo-vince?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, just send to leovince a mail, asking, about the type of homologation.
There's a little confusion about homologation near here, there's the exhaust not homologated (fully open, no db killers, no spark plugs,)/ track homologation, (dbkiller @ 98db, ) street homologation. (similar to track less db, 94 if i remember well), the thing is producer somethimes write homologated, but not specify for what.... so when caught by cops.. they smile and give a 300 E fee to pay... argh.. (maybe i'm a bit too concerned about this, but the zone where i live is not unusual find a cop checkpoint.)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would try to be extra careful with it as well if you expect to be hassled. A stock system would probably be your best bet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@04hemigtx1990;
I tried to find one bone stock, at good price, but i assure is impossible, the best stock one i found is a '04 at 7500 E, about 7000km bad mantained (rust everywhere) and the owner do only 2 maintenance routines.

Think that, Atv in Italy is not so common, like customs bikes, so police and local police watch, what they could exhaust, tyres, bout tyres i'm luck with the one we are talking about..
various importer have homologated different groups of wheel/tyres, so i could mount..
175/70-10 13F 175/75-10 13F (for front)
255/60-10 39F 270/50-10 265/45-10 270/50-9 215/50-9 39F (back)

and no one will check other things, like axle, suspension, or other things like that... but an open exhaust that would be like seeing a squirrel for a dog.....

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a stock system I could probably let you have for just shipping.. I'd say shipping would be high though. And my stock exhaust won't be off until this weekend.. Duals are going on today :) But by no means is mine perfect either. But it does do what it is suppose to. Just isn't completely spotless.
Just let me know man.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
eheheh thank you but u could'nt immagine what one have to do for get a matriculation, for a parallel import, veichle used quads or car etc included...
If could be easier (and cheaper) i for sure have bought one from a foreign country, England Germany, staying in Europe, or overseas, in U.S one could find almost brand new kawie, at nice price.. but agencies that could do that (and prepare the right documents, and so on..) cost a bit the only one i know is specialized in some particular cars (mustangs), and in custom bikes, they charge about 3000 eu for the "work".
Think that even with Eu laws, that have have simplified the pratice needed, the bureaucracy that remain to do here is something out of mind, simply the governrment, "discourage" a private doing an import.
Thanks anyway.
More easy, restore or correctly prepare one found here, parts could be buyed everywhere, (except exhaust as i said before)...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ok.. Well good luck with your search! Just trying to help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I truly appreciated you offer, if it was possible, would be for me a really good occasion.
Is a pitty you have the yoshi, dual or i would send u the ones there's on the one i'm near to buy.
(next week if all go, i buy that).

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey man, I'm always up for free exhaust! :) As a matter of fact, if you send it to me, and it is aftermarket. I will put everyone who wants in that only has stock exhaust, Name in a hat. Pull one out. And ship it to them for free.! Sounds like a great deal! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahahah let me first acquire that kfx...
THen
if u pay the expedition why not, i hate seeing things unused lying. And exist barter, eheheh...:p, of the things i've to put on that quad, mybe u have a couple of useful (for me) parts lying around unused, or know where to buy/order, cheap, things i surely don't know.

But before i would send u a photo of the exhaust.. for the simple reason that u must see if they are good for you.

We will talk about that after i have buyed the kfx.

Nooow :D is always around the first and most important question if the mods the actual owner has done are "right", amd what could be usefull change/correct.
but i would next put a list of tought i'm doing reading mods done to the kfx near here...
but for sure i need opinion, suggestion on brands, and consideration, about what is right to do and what not focusing on what already there's on that quad. so spread the words that opinion needed here if u have time there's a lot of supermodders near here and your too is pretty modded, so i suppose would be easy for u thinking about of how a kfx must be for have to resist, walk on street, and somethimes on dirt roads, doing long trip ( form 200 500km) not loosing to much power but being "made-up" (i hope the dictionary is correct", and composed on turns, and the weakness, i'm thinking about something i read that using a lot a quad on asphalt, ruin easily the bearinga for example, but i dunno if is true if bearings could be changed with better or "right"one for the usage..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
to reup... the question i ask people near here is with what do you will change the following parts (please mind that i'm not a racer, i will use it on street ,dirt roads and for grand tourism).
i've written in bold what i think to change... please any suggestion is appreciated.

long travel front arms. (omnicompetition)---->(for what i read seems good? i'm right?)

shocks (gcb)---->someone know nothing about this brand?

long rear axle. (do not know the brand)--->any notorious good brand?

full dual exhaust Yoshimura (race series full open)--->mivv (2 in 2 street legal)

nerf (dwt)

bullbar front (dwt)

handlebar steel ( the actual one is a RENTHAL short column (really short)---> renthal +2 handlebar, or one with antivibration, reading here and there seems that the antivibration ones help a lot on the street use.. I need suggestion for a brand..
brake master cylinder with braided hoses

washable air filter (foam, no changes to the filter box) --> twinair? or K&n? the famous 13 holes is a good mod or not? i read really different opinions on that..

lowering kit. are all the same?

variator spring (unknown brand)--->for this i suppose vforce john could help me out, i thinked to buy an already modded clutch.

cdi? (would worth the price?)

IMS TANK (i think that's one of the best things to buy for my use.)

Street/dirt roads tyres (kenda? maxxis?)

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
You need the Germans to come in your thread and post. They are the experts when it comes to setting them up on the street. Or you could pm them and give them a link to this thread.

RichardULC42
Septemberegan

I'm missing a few. Anyone else remember their names?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
thanks camo Pm sended to them, u see Germans build a lot of nice stuff, eheh in Germany i see a lot of nice things about customizing is a passion there, but your opinion is welcome , as the opinion of any of you near here know very well the kawie, using it and have it heavily tuned,
For example i really dont know what a non expert have to watch carefully when check a used kawie...
i wrote what i see in the first page of this tread but don't know if i forgot something to be watched to judge how good a quad is mantained by the seller.

A curiosity.
I know in some state of U.S quad are not road legal, but i don't know about Canada..
there is possible use Quads on street?

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Not here. If I could, it would be slammed, widened and have taller gears!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts