Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks again for everyone helping me figure out how to get my first atv running again, much appreciated.
So the prairie 360 was bought with the belt light flashing but running like crap and poping/misfiring through the carb at idle and not being able to go much over 5 mph. I thought for sure it was in limp mode, tried to reset the belt light every possible way but could never get it to go off and run decent, This weekend i took the carb off and it was covered in a thin green film and the jets were coated also (almost looked like green lime stains), I cleaned it and put it back on, still had the misfire at low rpm but seemed to run ok when at higher rpm, i did need to hold the choke on for it to run though or it would snub out, took it back off and it looks like the small pilot jet was plugged through the middle so i ordered a carb rebuild kit and figured i would put all new items in due the the fact everything was so covered in the green film so bad, then i though for the hell of it to jack the atv up and pull the front diff actuator to see if it moves and truely is in limp mode, well with the belt light flashing when i spin the tires the actuator would move back and forth with the switch, do you think i just have a bad belt light indicator and its not actually in limp mode? Im thinking if i get this carb fixed maybe it will run again, and i can just put tape over the belt light?

Also i took a compression test of the motor and it was coming in at 70 psi so i checked the valves, when the intake valve opens and closes and then keep rotating the motor counter clockwise a little bit more to the T that is TDC correct, The valves were not super tight but i used a .13mm on intake and a .18mm on exhaust, re took the compression test with the carb off cold and it would only come up to 90 psi, at this point i thought i was screwed, so i put it back together and it started fine other than what i suspect is carb problems, and i reved it up a bit to get it nice and hot, checked the compression again with the carb on and i could get it up to 100psi now, any idea what is going on why the psi keeps going up, if i adjust the exhaust valve a little looser to .20mm at the upper end of the spec do you think it will get me closer to that 118psi min value in the manual? Runs some seafoam through the gas tank you think, or dump some in the cylinder for a few days? What air fuel mixture screw setting do you guys suggest i start with when rebuilding the carb, 2 turns out?

Lastly when i had the 4x4 actuator out and it was moving with the switch with the vent light pointed up on the actuator it would move roughly from the 12 oclock position to the 9 oclock position and make like a ticking sound for a few seconds after it got done moving, does this sound like its working correctly, just want to know because if it is i will just try to find a new aluminum base of the actuator after i cracked the original one somehow not installing it right before.

Thank you for all the help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If got to add the guy i bought the atv from was selling for his sister and said he thought the atv had sat in her garage for 2-3 years. Probably whey the carb is so bad, do you think this could have something to do with the compression also? THanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts