Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member in need! I got rid of my old 400ex and picked up a v-force and i'm not sure why. I thaught that 700cc would be absolutely nuts but i got to say that i was sorely mistaken.
The machine is an '04' with about 10 hours on it. I just threw in a Dalton clutch kit and kept my fingers crossed but was let down again. Can someone tell me the best mods for your dollar because if it takes another 2 grand to make it fast than it's gotta go. Let me clarify that when i say fast i don't need to go 100 but it better tear my arms off. Thanks to everyone that gives me some feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I'm a new member in need! I got rid of my old 400ex and picked up a v-force and i'm not sure why. I thaught that 700cc would be absolutely nuts but i got to say that i was sorely mistaken.
The machine is an '04' with about 10 hours on it. I just threw in a Dalton clutch kit and kept my fingers crossed but was let down again. Can someone tell me the best mods for your dollar because if it takes another 2 grand to make it fast than it's gotta go. Let me clarify that when i say fast i don't need to go 100 but it better tear my arms off. Thanks to everyone that gives me some feedback.
BBK and cams. $1100.00:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
vens right... for about 1k you can just about double your horsepower on the bike... it is like night and day..... you will not be dissappointed...

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Did I miss something here if you think the kxf is slow then that 400ex should have felt like a complete turd. I would have to agree with what was said already do a big bore you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
search on here for the 12 hole airbox mod.drill the jets.put on a pipe. it'll run with or faster than most 450 with bolt ons and he price is fairly cheap.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yea my Bro-inlaw has a built up 400ex and my bolt-on 700 will absolutely destroy his Honda. My 700 was fast even when it was bone stock.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
you might not be used to the steady pull of the automatic.. ive had 2 440EX and they were not a little bit fast, but the little snap they give when you shift might give the allusion..

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
What did you throw in for the Dalton clutch kit the DPK 56's, 57's or 58's?

With any of them you should of felt a lot more on bottom although they could feel a little sluggish with the blue spring.

The 12 hole mod, and a minimal of an overdrive cut clutch will certainly help, and the 12 hole is pretty much of no cost but can't say the same for the clutch mod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advise and by the way, the trx may not be faster than the kfx but when you come out of a burm or anywhere with a rolling start ant you can pin the throttle and want more it is discouraging from a 700, when you can do the same thing on a trx and snap the clutch and stand it up.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
12 hole mod, trim the springs, polish the slides, spark plug mod, VFJ Stage 3 clutch, a good filter, exhaust & jet it correctly. Should not cost much more than $500 or so. It will be a good bit snappier..:D

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Lifting the front my look impressive but it's just a waste of power.

As heavy as these are trust me when I say they will have trouble hooking, and bringing the front up. Loss of traction is to blame as these have gobs of torque and don't strictly rely on rpm to do what you think they should do.

If you really want to bring up the front hit the throttle, let off, and hit it again. But, keeping the front wheels on the ground really helps with cornering, and allows you to keep aggressive on the throttle in the corners. Not to mention the cvt is always in the correct gear.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Being an 04 I'd check the belt tension too. That'll make it seem slugish out the hole.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have never owned a 400ex but you must have had the fasted EX ever built. I had an LT500R and my V, with just a pipe, 12 hole mod, and spring, feels every bit as strong, fast, and responsive. If my 2 stroke experience is equalled on a 4 stroke I can't imagine your single lung, air-cooled, thumper experience wasn't blown away. I would have to think something is wrong with your V if it doesn't feel like twice the bike of your 400.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Welcome to KR, bell. These 700s are built very mild from the factory. If Kawie put cams in them like what most of us run, there would be alot more deaths in this country.

If you want more go, without tearing into the engine, I would put 12 1" holes in the lid. Then get a a Muzzy's exhaust, a set of cross over intakes and have your clutch modified. All this can be gotten form INTERSTATE MOTORSPORTS. Great guy to deal with and his sevrice is fast and reasonable. Top it off with a dalton orange/blue spring and fresh belt and you will see the hidden potential of the mighty V-Twin.

When your ready, a Big bore kit, or even a standard bore kit, with some big cams will make you siht yourself and like it :D

Oh, and in 04 there were issues with the rocker bolts breaking off and destroying the engine. There is a cheap, yet reliable remedy to this. Search the KFX forum and check it out!! So, keep it topped off with fresh oil. Welcome to the site

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Did you have a chance to actually race the 400EX against the V?
I bought a 300EX with a pipe for my son about 5 years ago..... shifting through the gears and revving it out made it feel really fast after spending years on an automatic; I even thought it might be faster than my Prairie. I then had my brother ride my P650 in a drag race against me on the 300EX. Within 2 seconds I had my answer; after picking the rocks and sod off my face and out of my mouth I know the P650 was much faster and the speed of the manual shift 300EX had been an illusion.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
everyone gets that. the KFX700 is one bad machine in its own class. going from a light sport quad with manual trans. to a fat over wt auto trans. comes alet down. but with some help and tuning can smack down that old 400ex you had.

I went from a 2003 honda 400ex with a 440 12:1 piston with a stage 2 camshaft. full FMF powercore exhuast, whitebrothers CDI,edelbrok 440 carb. hanson clutch, full elka suspension. and a full set of ITP holeshot XCT tires. TO a 2004 kawie Prairie 700. boy was that a major change. but now i wouldnt even think of riding another manual shift sport quad again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lots of great info guys. Thanks. New to this forum and am picking up lots of great ideas to help mod up the wife's V700. Don't really want to crack into the engine but looking for some good bolt-ons. Really like her machine and actually prefer the feel of her Kaw over my 700 Raptor. But performance wise the two are not even semi close. Both machines are 100% stock. The Raptor will flat out, hands down SMOKE the V700.

Suggestions on best bets to unlock some of the horsepower trapped in this big green Kaw? We only ride sand from 0 to 7000' elevation. Ideas?

The wife would really appreciate enough power to whup my 700R.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
throw her some nitrous on it. After about 2-3 hr install.....she will be ready to kick your ass

really about the quickest and cheapest hp.

probably a mild 20 shot would get the job done quite easily, could easily run up to a 40 shot in a stock motor and embarrass the hell out of you:D

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I had a friend with a 400EX switch to a new KFX. Night and day difference. he says he would never go back.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
FPS 730 kit and some NOS and you will be peeing yourself in no time. As far as the money goes just play politician and tell Ray that you have the money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts