Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 05 650 Brute force and I am having a couple issues. The bike is bone stock and has roughly 1400 miles. I rode with a couple friends of mine the other day (1 has an identical Brute Force 650 all stock, and the other has an 04 Suzuki twin peaks 700). I am new to the utility quad world, and I was blown away when I rode the other 2 machines and realized how bad mine ran.

My bike was really boggy and ran like crap compared to the other 2. I could only get it to around 42-45 MPH and it didnt seem to REV as high as the other 650. The other Brute ran neck and neck with the Twin Peaks, and I was left in the dust. Traction wasn't an issue, the machine was definitely not running right.

Took it back to the dealer and they put a new belt on it and leaned it out a bit and it runs much better, but still not as strong as the other 2. I can get it to 55 now, but it takes a min to get there, and it still doesn't seem like it revs as high as the other Brute.

I'm wondering if the valves could be out of adjustment a bit, but not sure cause it starts fine. I'm familiar with clutching issues on snowmobiles, so it kinda seems like it could be that or the jetting is still off. I checked the air filter, and it is brand new. I'm kinda stumped. That other Brute bout pulled my arms out of their sockets in comparison. (BTW, the other Brute did recently have issues starting.A local shop adjusted the valves, so it is probably running close to brand new, nonetheless, mine should be right there with his.)

Anybody else had similar problems?? I'm new in the Brute world, so just looking for any ideas. With stock clutching, what jetting setup should be close?? Anything else that might cause issues like that?? I ran a full tank of fresh 91 Octane through it, so i don't think it was bad fuel.

Little more info:
45 Degree ambient temp, 4400 feet in elevation.

Let me know if there is anything else that would be good to know!! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess I should ask how high the REV limiter is set, and where it should be revving to. Also, where should a stock 650 top out?? I haven't rode with the other 2 machines since the dealer adjusted the jetting and replaced the belt, so maybe it is correct now. :confused:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Did they reset your belt light? Maybe your bike is still in limp mode?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The belt light was never on. Belt was just worn and slipping I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it to a different dealer and last Saturday to see if they could figure it out. Dealer called Saturday and said that the jet's were switched. I'm guessing they were meaning that the air and fuel jets in the main circuit were switched around . Not sure of all the details, but im going to pick it up tonight after work, so I'll find out for sure.

Anybody know if that is possible?? I've never seen the inside of the carbs on the Brute, so I'm not sure what the fuel and air jets look like. That definitely makes sense that it would run like crap if that is the case.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If the bike is completely stock why would th jet's be switched? Jetting is a VERY simple process and would only need to be done with aftermarket intake systems (12 Hole modification, snorkeled intake.. etc.)

Sounds like a dealer scam, but that's just my opinion.

A 650 Brute, stock should top out ~ 65m.p.h

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had a 650 sra acting this way. And found out the rear carb plunger was not opening up. If the dealer didn't get it fixed right take the air box off and run it. See if both carb plungers are opening right when you give it throttle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the front carb and rear carb take different jets {sizes}cant remember the numbers i have dynojet kit on my 05 150rear carb144front carbi looked in my manual thats what i put in .but you are alot higher elavaton than me im in houstontx.the factory set up is real lean when i rejetted my 05 750 it will wheelie over it did not before i jetted it i also have a moose module on it . pull your sparkplugs and read them that will tell you how you are jetted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
whe your dealer said the jets were switched that means your mainjets were in the wrong carb like i said above front and rear carbs take different# jets

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Novass, you hit it right on the nose. They said that the main jets were mixed up front to rear. They had the front cylinder too lean and the rear too rich. Somebody must have attempted to change the jetting in it at one time or another and got them mixed up. Runs really good now. Moose module should be here soon too, so we'll see how that goes. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have done a little jet work on our old Polaris snowmobiles, and a little on my old Predator, but this is my first rodeo with the Kawi's. That's why i let the dealer do it this time. I might tear it apart one of these days so i know how it all works on these machines.

I'm going to go ride it this weekend with the buddy of mine that has another 05 SRA and make sure they run about the same. Then the module should be here too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me which jets go in what place? I have been having similar issues after putting motor back together. I tore carbs apart and cleaned for good measure while I had them out. I didn't know they had different stock jets. It's been popping out exhaust real bad and hard to tune. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone help me I have an 05 750 that is running like crap @ wot I can only go 45mph. I have a hmf slip on dynatek cdi k&n air filter and snorkels and I'm on 28 inch mud lites. I rejetted with what was givin to me by hmf which was 155f and 165R? Any help would be great

1 - 15 of 15 Posts