Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was having a problem with my VDi not firing, but the bike would run with the stock CDI. I talked to Lyle and he said if the light on the VDI doesnt cut off then its not getting a voltage from the stator. But if thats the case hows it starting with the stock cdi? could it be running off the battery?

where do i start? i read that its usually the regulator? if so how do i test it

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
Sounds like your VDI is bad. I had one that was the same way when my bike was a 665. I put a dyna on it and never did miss a beat after that.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Willing to bet it's the rectifier, or corroded wires. The stator is easy to change but, you will need two gaskets.... water pump, and flywheel cover gasket.

The easiest way to tell if it's the stator is on the 3 terminal plug. With an ohmmeter, when you ground the circuit, you should have 0 ohms. Anything else and their is probably a short. Another way is with the bike running, each circuit should put out around 60V AC.

Testing the rectifier is a little more complicated, but do-able. I would swap rectifiers with someone else, if available, before trying to test.

As long as you are getting around 14V at the battery,with the bike running, then the system is working properly.

^What I posted for VT a while back^

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
son of a fukin bitch, can he fix em or is it trash?

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
they are very good about taking of their stuff

I've had my VDI for probably year and no problems

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i sure hope so, i cant afford to dump another $400 in this bike right now, if not its goin on the back burner for a few months and i damn sure aint makin it to St. A's this year

1 - 8 of 8 Posts