Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the oil in my bf and forgot to put the plug in... I turned it on and it ran for about 10-15 sec before i noticed and shut it off. It isn't making any noises or anything but has the damage already been done??

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Doubt it hurt anything if you caught it that fast.

Fill it again (with the drain plug) and run it. listen for anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should be OK. Really need to run it till it gets warm/hot to do any damage.Everything that needs oil should have a coat of oil to withstand this.Happens all the time to cars,Just makes a big mess.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
good chance that all is still ok, if itwas only a few secs!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
You should be fine. I had it happen to me with a car once. I did an oil change and didn't notice the rubber o-ring from the old filter stuck to the mount when I put the new one on. I finished and started the car to back out of the garage. When I did oil blew out between the double stacked o-rings all over the floor......what a mess. It only happens once.....I always check now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You should be fine. I had it happen to me with a car once. I did an oil change and didn't notice the rubber o-ring from the old filter stuck to the mount when I put the new one on. I finished and started the car to back out of the garage. When I did oil blew out between the double stacked o-rings all over the floor......what a mess. It only happens once.....I always check now.
My friend will feel better, we told him he was the only one talented enough to do that.

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
I did the same exact thing! Once.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try doing it on a cummins diesel engine that holds 5 gallons of oil! Dohh!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try doing it on a cummins diesel engine that holds 5 gallons of oil! Dohh!
hahaha... I have a duramax and when I change the oil in it... and all diesel trucks owners for this matter can relate to this...

as soon as that oil plug comes out of the pan, look out, that oil comes out with extreme prejudice and hatred for anything that gets in it way!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts