Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing oil....went to put plug back in and it felt like the threads had stripped (never tightened)So spun plug back out and this came back out with it!?...it looks to have been locktited at one time. What would yall do?....
IMG_20200112_132007169.jpg

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I used a heli coil in mine and other atvs that have had stripped oil plugs.
I do not know what that insert is that came out though.
Which one is stripped out, the oil plug into the insert, or that insert in to the engine case ?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Clean up that insert and your case, put some red Locktite on it and thread it back into the case and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so,..cleaned the plug up. Raised the 4wheeler on it's end, cleaned case up good..red locktite. Let it set for a week, and it didnt hold. So i guess I'll go to my quality fastner place and see if they can help me out with a slightly bigger plug?...(they've got every type of bolt, nut,fastner you can think of)....and just use it to cut new threds?...

·
Super Moderator
12,552 Posts
Drill and tap new (next size bigger) threads, and then use a new plug.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Drill and tap kit is the answer. But more importantly, use the three finger rule when you put the new bolt in! You've stripped these threads twice already. Don't eat your wheaties next time!??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks guys for the input....na, it was done like this before...had this bike for about three years, never knew it had been stripped. But yeah, there's a hardly any threads showing in the case...
A insert and plug?...or just a plug?....

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It all depends on what size of insert that came out, as to what you are going to install.

·
Super Moderator
4,431 Posts
Yeah it's always better to not use an insert. Best to drill and tap for a larger size plug. Tough to tap straight enough so a copper or aluminum washer works without a jig though. I remember somewhere seeing a company that makes a self-tapping plug repair system somewhere. Google should be able to find something on that. Something like this but in the correct size: Metric Self-Tapping Oil Pan Drain Plug 19mm - 59711 | LawsonProducts.com

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That self tapping plug would be perfect......
The wife works at a shop (auto repair) and the old timers up there want to drill and heli-coil it!?....

·
Super Moderator
4,431 Posts
That self tapping plug would be perfect......
The wife works at a shop (auto repair) and the old timers up there want to drill and heli-coil it!?....
Done right..yeah.. but you already have had that once...botched by the look of epoxy on it. Not going to get many more chances before a new case is in your future. :) Sense this is the second-time around I think I would for sure have a professional with the right equipment do it anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah exactly....there going to drill and retap the hole, then put a heli coil in it.....
I think thats better than my idea of gettingva slightly bigger plug with diffrent threads and use it to make new threads in my case.....
But yeah ,i know....this might be the past shoot on it....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Old insert and plug was 17.whatever...so we went with a 18.175 plug I believe it was....guy doing the work 4 me said it retaped good and "the plug was as tight as he would tighten one"....so it's back home now, oil in it. Rode it for about 20 min. Or so....parked it,...and got a small puddle....so I gotta get it jacked up, skid plate off and see what's going on.....idk....

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it is leaking because it wasnt tapped straight, use a rubber sealing washer or nylon. Ace Hardware or auto parts store for those.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts