Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm new to the 700s, so help me out some. My bike is bone stock minus the HMF single exhaust. I rarely ever ride it. I went on a decent ride last night, probly about 4 hours or so. Woke up today and realized how filthy it was so I washed it. Almost as soon as I got done washing, I rode it around the yard, and the oil light came on. Its not glowing "wide open" yet, if you know what I mean. (simular to when the fuel light barely glows right when you first start to run a tad bit low on fuel)...........What i'm saying is it isn't FULLY illuminated, but its there. I checked the oil level and its not at the top of the cross hatches on the dip stick but it is not low. Anyone ever had problems with the oil light coming on after a good wash?? Can't find my owners manual (actually didn't wanna look for it), but it is a low oil light, or low oil PRESSURE light? I didn't have much time to mess with it as I had somewhere to go, and I was getting some hunting stuff together all evening. No odd motor noises, oil level is ok, sounds like it runs perfect.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The lights should be all or nothing. Either on or off..to my knowledge there is no variance/dimmer on them. It is an oil pressure light. Perhaps water in the connection?

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Yes, it is moisture in a connection. You should go through the entire quad and put dielectric grease in every connection you can find.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Code:
but it is a low oil light, or low oil PRESSURE light?
know what you are talking about with the low oil light, my Yamaha road bike has one of those!!
however on these kawies, that oil light is for low oil pressure!!

glad you gave all the facts, as after a goos wash, think all you have is water on the contact on the sensor!!

have had that many times after crossing rivers and playing in the water with the quad!!
once dry the light will go off!!
just check on that!!

good chance that the little boot that goes over the sensor in either not on properly of damaged!!

the sensor is near the oil filter, think just nest to it!!

think that once I made sure the little boot/cover was on properly it never happened again!!
although that was a while ago!!

pretty sure there is nothing to worry about!!

hope this helps!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn thanks for the answers so soon guys. I don't see any reason for the bike to have low oil pressure. It is practically brand new. The reason I said the light is kinda dim is because it isn't as bright as any of the other lights, OR when the key is on, engine off it is brighter. When I crank it up it is a little dimmer, but defenetly on. I'm sure its water in a connector. I guess i'm going back to my 4x4 days of going through the entire bike with di-electric grease. I didn't have time to check any connections for water or anything, the girl friend was already bit**in at me because I was taking too long to wash it. I took the day off work tomorrow to do a little deer hunting so i'll give ya'll an update on what I find in the evening. THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I would definitely check the rubber boot by the oil filter.I had the same problem and under the boot is a connector that bolts into where the sensor is.The end of mine was broken so I cleaned the connection and put a new end on the wire and problem solved.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I didn't get a chance to look at it guys, hunting all day long and got home late so I wasn't in the mood to mess with it. I need to put some different jets in it so that will be a good excuse to go out to the shop and take a look at it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About to leave work and take a gander at the ole' bike........updates to come.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well thats all it was guys (water)...........Thats kind of a shit connection there also. Figured they would have thought that through a little more on an ATV.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
dont think when they designed it, that it was intended to be used as a boat!!:p

after rains have had water up to the lights at this crossing!!
most times after this river crossing the oil light is on for a while!!:D
as if to say that felt good!!:lol:

suppose thats why my swing arm bearing looked the way they did!!!:lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took mine a little above the lights the other night (didnt want to, had to) but I know how to ride deep water fairly decent from the old bike. Light never came on.....only after washing it did it come on. Pressure washer must have gotten to it somehow. Oh well, i've got it tore down ready to jet it tonight, light was off before i took it apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts