Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting ready to put my Prairie back together. I decided to order new rotors for the oil pump because I figured I might as well while I'm in there, and they're only $5 bucks each. Anyhow, I see both rotors have a dot machined into them. Service manual does not say anything about them, nor does the photo show them. The rotors appear symmetrical, and I can't see how one side would need to be installed in any certain direction. Anyone know the story on these dots?

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 400 service manual says nothing. Google search turned up a few sources that said they are sort of alignment marks, but only in the sense that you want to maintain the original alignment of existing parts, like if both dots face out, reinstall with both dots out. If one dot faces in and the other out, reinstall the same way.

This is because the gears wear together and if you reverse one after disassembly, the fit will be compromised and probably not be as efficient and wear faster. Maybe similar to installing a drive chain sprocket in reverse after it has wear, the engagement of sprocket and chain will not be the same.

In this case, because you are replacing both and the dots of the new assembly are on the same side, I would install them with the dots on the same side. I am guessing you will have both facing outward.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I always assumed...and yes, I know,.. that a the two rotors are designed to bring oil in one side and force it out the other and that requires the rotor mesh cuts to be tapered slightly in one direction.. so it is important that not only are the dots on the same side, but the rotor accembly is facing the correct direction. That might be 100% wrong...so, just put the new ones in the same way as the old ones came out and you should be good.. :)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 400 service manual says nothing. Google search turned up a few sources that said they are sort of alignment marks, but only in the sense that you want to maintain the original alignment of existing parts, like if both dots face out, reinstall with both dots out. If one dot faces in and the other out, reinstall the same way.

This is because the gears wear together and if you reverse one after disassembly, the fit will be compromised and probably not be as efficient and wear faster. Maybe similar to installing a drive chain sprocket in reverse after it has wear, the engagement of sprocket and chain will not be the same.

In this case, because you are replacing both and the dots of the new assembly are on the same side, I would install them with the dots on the same side. I am guessing you will have both facing outward.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Reference marks. If they were more than that, or directional, you'd think Kawasaki would be very descriptive about them.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...so, just put the new ones in the same way as the old ones came out and you should be good.. :)
That's wherein the problem lies.....
I unbolted the whole pump and immediately put it into a ziplock bag to keep it clean. Next day, went to get it out of the bag and the outer rotor fell out into the bag before I got to see where the dot was. Inner rotor is circlipped to the shaft, and it had the dot facing inside the engine. So I just installed the new rotors both with the dot facing in. Hope it works!:smile2:

I did fill it up with oil and played around with it before I installed it. Seemed to squish oil out the same whether it was dots in or dots out.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
...so, just put the new ones in the same way as the old ones came out and you should be good.. :)
That's wherein the problem lies.....
I unbolted the whole pump and immediately put it into a ziplock bag to keep it clean. Next day, went to get it out of the bag and the outer rotor fell out into the bag before I got to see where the dot was. Inner rotor is circlipped to the shaft, and it had the dot facing inside the engine. So I just installed the new rotors both with the dot facing in. Hope it works!:smile2:

I did fill it up with oil and played around with it before I installed it. Seemed to squish oil out the same whether it was dots in or dots out.
Fingers are crossed..:)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just watched three videos of kawasaki oil pumps being removed, and all of them had the dot on the outer rotor facing the engine and the inner rotor dot was facing the inside of the cover. Wth..... :unsure:

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Look at the old ones to see if they are truly symmetrical. If they are, it doesn't matter. If there's no reference in the manual, it likely doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems odd to put ref marks on it, but then not put them both on one side....
I think I better pull it off and mic them.
I ran a search on it, but nothing came up. Hard to believe I'm the only guy in the 17 year history of this engine that's ever wondered how this thing is supposed to be installed. :surprise:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I ran a search on it, but nothing came up. Hard to believe I'm the only guy in the 17 year history of this engine that's ever wondered how this thing is supposed to be installed. :surprise:
I took a look in a Brute 650 service manual and I found this clear as day...why yours doesn't have it I don't know:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a look in a Brute 650 service manual and I found this clear as day...why yours doesn't have it I don't know:

Awesome! Thank you.

Here's the P700 manual:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something they corrected over the years I guess. I have to assume all the V-twins would be the same.
Yeah, I would assume so too. I put them in according to your manual.

Got out the mic anyway and measured them every way I could, and I couldn't find any difference on them, other than the old ones had a .0005" variation on one side where the wear was. Not too bad for cycling oil for 1670 hours!:grin2:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Something they corrected over the years I guess. I have to assume all the V-twins would be the same.
Yeah, I would assume so too. I put them in according to your manual.

Got out the mic anyway and measured them every way I could, and I couldn't find any difference on them, other than the old ones had a .0005" variation on one side where the wear was. Not too bad for cycling oil for 1670 hours!:grin2:
LOL..yeah, not bad at all. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts