Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm getting closer to my 730. I recently purchased a Fundy 730 (pistons and cylinders) off a member here on KW. Right now I'm checking my piston to wall clearance and I'm not 100% sure on how to do this.

With my feeler gauge I can fit one .008-.010 (.009-.010 very tight) on each side of the piston skirt (clearance is being checked with all rings on the piston). Again I have to idea how the check the piston to wall clearance the correct way. I looked up JE's recommendation and it says .005-.008 piston to wall clearance.

With the piston and rings installed inside the cylinder everything is very tight with minimal rocking. I need to keep in mind after I hone I'll prob end up with .001 removed from the walls. What grit stone do I need to use for honing. I'll be using a 3 leg tripod looking stone hone.

Here are a few pictures of my pistons cleaned up. From my understanding Ray told me there were two types of the old style JE's with different compression. Can anyone tell from these pictures what compression these JE pistons are?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John please explain a little more in detail I don't quite understand what you mean.

Should I be able to get a .002-.003 feeler in both sides or what? I want to gauge my clearance from the bottom of the cylinder? I'm lost man.

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
You use your feeler gauge and go up on the skirt of the piston is what he is saying. Put the piston in from the bottom of the cylinder and check it that way.

If you just measure from one side, you want .004-.006 which would equal that would be equal to putting 2 thou on each side or 3 thou.

Where you said measuring from one side you could get 8-10 thou, that would be equal to 4-5 thou which is too loose.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was measuring from the top of the piston (almost TDC) now if I measuring from dang near BTC like you guys are saying I can't even get a .003 and .002 is very tight but will go with a little help on one side of the skirt.

There is no way I can fit .002 on both sides of the skirt. I checked both cylinders I even went half way into the cylinder and both are .002 on one side or the other. Looks like there good to go? I still have to hone what grit stone do I need to hone/deglaze with.

Like I said above both cylinders are in grate shape with no scaring of any kind, pistons feel nice and tight when they are installed with the rings on them. I can even see (if I look hard enough) the hone marks in the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I was measuring from the top of the piston (almost TDC) now if I measuring from dang near BTC like you guys are saying I can't even get a .003 and .002 is very tight but will go with a little help on one side of the skirt.

There is no way I can fit .002 on both sides of the skirt. I checked both cylinders I even went half way into the cylinder and both are .002 on one side or the other. Looks like there good to go? I still have to hone what grit stone do I need to hone/deglaze with.

Like I said above both cylinders are in grate shape with no scaring of any kind, pistons feel nice and tight when they are installed with the rings on them. I can even see (if I look hard enough) the hone marks in the cylinder walls.
If your trying to check the clearance with a feeler gauge, like John said put one feeler gauge in the cylinder with the piston on the bottom (skirt) of the piston. You should be able to fit a .002" to .0025" gauge in there.
Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts