·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is bad enough! I am still kicking myself!!! Right in the nuts!!!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hey guy---That really doesn't look that bad in the pic--If you could drill it out to anice round hole---Then you could get a patch like they use at WallyWorld---It's a large round patch with a long pyramiding stem in the middle---You pull that long stem through the hole from the outside which sucks up the patch tight on the inside--Then cut off the stem and melt some sort of rubber over the outside and walla.

You might pm twyztid on here---I think he works for a tire Co. and might offer better solution---I did the above and it worked perfectly for me--Just sayin.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
How big is the hole on the inside? From what I can see that tire is repairable but will probably take more than just a patch. I can do what is called a section repair to it. That involves grinding out the damaged area on the outside, filling it in with new uncured rubber, putting a patch in the inside, and curing it in a curing chamber. If done correctly you will not need to run a tube in it either.

Looks like it may cost around $14-$17 to ship to me in Michigan by FedEx or USPS Parcel Post.

PM me about this if you would like my help.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the offer I do appreciate it a lot. The tire is at a friend's to see if he can fix it. he own's a tire business. If he doesn't think it's worth nmessing with I will PM you twyztid thx

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Alright, sounds good.

That tire is DEFINITELY worth messing with but it may not be for him if he doesn't have the right tools. I am able to do the full repairs because the company I work for has a retread shop. It may or may not work if his shop is just a regular retail tire store.

Make sure that the patch is a reinforced patch and not one made out of only rubber. I am sure you cut some of the sidewall plies and a reinforced patch will be needed to give that spot some strength again.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay I emailed him to get a definate answer. I will let you know either way.

If I am going to send it do you want it off the rim?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
hey kenny4, those are called tech patches, only used on really large holes! rarely ever used em. mainly just the buff n glue patches but we did stock tech patches! they do work wonders on big holes

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
hey kenny4, those are called tech patches, only used on really large holes! rarely ever used em. mainly just the buff n glue patches but we did stock tech patches! they do work wonders on big holes
Yeah---Whatever hole size, (nail hole), you drill it out to fit the thingy on the patch--I think they work super good.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
okay I emailed him to get a definate answer. I will let you know either way.

If I am going to send it do you want it off the rim?
If it easy enough for you to take it off the rim, then yes. Otherwise, it probably won't make much difference for the shipping cost and I can take it off the rim on the machine here.

Tech is a name brand of patch and not a type. It is the brand we use where I work. =- Welcome to Tech International :: Leader in Tire Repair Products -=

The problem I see with that type of "plug/patch" repair vs. doing the section repair that I explained earlier is that the sidewall flexes a lot and the insert plug may not hold over time. Plus, ALL of the damaged area needs to be removed or it could possibly tear at the ends of the current rip in the tire.

This is from at different patch brand but gives you an idea of how a section repair is done to a bias-ply tire.
http://www.patchrubber.com/training/bias_section.pdf

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
:eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah WOW!

Got the tire back looks good he used some 2 part patch on it. He said it should be fine. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Glad to hear to got it repaired. If you find down the road that it didn't hold, let me know. I'll fit it up! :tup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts