Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys remember my previous post...fell flat after my first high speed run after the bbk ...started making a weird knocking noise! The guy that helped me put the bbk called and said he was wondering if a fouled plug could cause the prob. I took both plugs out tonight after checking the valve adjustments and it does seem like the front cylinder plug is barely firng kinda orangish... switched plugs and it moved with the plug. The other plug seems nice and white when it fires. Do you guys think this could be the problem? The backfiring makes me think it is something other than a rod or crank bearing! I have my old plugs ...Should I put the front rocker cover back on and plug and try it again? Some of you kinda got on me for starting it twice...may cause more damage, which I understand, but one more time, what do ya think? Thanks...Bent

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, longhair is right. When i moved the plug that was in the front cylinder to the back cylinder it looked weak in the back also. the plug that was in the rear that I moved to the front looked good in either coil. What I am asking I guess is could the fouled plug cause the knocking noise that I am hearing? I would only assume that it could cause the backfiring that I hear when I go to start it. I recently done the mini ms mod also, It has an absolutely terrible backfire when I start it. It cranks right up after the backfire but is running like shi_ and seems to be making a knocking noise. Which sounded like it was coming from the front cylinder. I would also assume that it could have caused it to fall flat on its face during that high speed run, and basically shutdown on me. Glenn what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
Just try new plugs; they are cheap. Then troubleshoot from there.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Umm I don't believe 4 stroke plugs foul unless your burn a ton of oil.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We used quite a bit of assembly lube was the thought that the guy had that helped me? And I was a quart low on oil that I dont know where it went. It was smoking a little when we first fired it up...I was told that was normal until it got broke in...

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
Start with the simple stuff; you know you have a plug that's weak, change it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts