Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I could use some opinions on how far I should take my rebuilt at this time. I have my engine out of the bike and the case split to get to the oil screen, which was completely blown apart. In the teardown I have noted a few things that trouble me, and have me pondering the smartest way to go. Please keep in mind that this is the first ATV I've ever owned, and have never ridden a KFX700...including this one. I bought it with a wiped out front cam, turned out to be both cams, a grenaded oil pump, stretched intermediate cam chain w/ a partially broken link, scored chain guide for same, and bad oil screen. I also see scoring on the lower 2/3's of the rear cylinder and staining about half way down the front cylinder. The top 2 rings on the front piston are seized in their grooves, and the skirts on both pistons show scratches.
What would you do? I could prob. get the rings freed up, do a quick hone to the cylinders, put the other parts in new and get this running for under $300 or....insert your opinion here. My funds are O.K.... but I know I can't spend the $ on an 800 BBK..... which is my wet dream!!!!!
Also it would only be fair to note that I'm a faattty boomballllaty...
6'-325lbs. BUT it's ALL muscle:eek::D:wub:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you can do it for $300..DO IT!...then turn around and sell the sucker for a couple grand...then buy beer.

And another stocker that wasnt trashed.:p

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take your suggestion if I thought I could get my $ back out of it, However I bought the bike almost 3 years ago, while I was working an overtime job. At the time you couldn't buy a running KFX700 around here for under $5G's, So when I saw this one on CL. for $2800 I jumped on it....or IN IT as turns out:(. A new baby, a home renovation, and our third child due in Feb., I finally have the time to work on it after being laidoff since last Jan. There are 04'-06's in running condition going for around $3G's all the time now, I guess because of the economy+the added age of the machines....bottom line is I HAVE this one and I KNOW whats wrong with IT. I don't know WHAT I'll find with the NEXT one...although I would agree it would be hard pressed to be WORSE than this one and still be running!!!!
I'm sure SOME of the problems I see were caused by ME letting it SIT.
I just hate the thought of doing all this work only to have to tear it down again later to do some mods to it that would be easy now and only add a couple hundred to the cost....which I can easily hide from my wife as NECESSARY. It will be harder later to justify another teardown of a RUNNING bike;).
Thanks for your interest GeneralV it's F.F.T. by the way, my wifeee's favorite color is General Lee Orange!!!!, Ed3

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Well in that case, if you dont want to blow a bunch of money and keep the one you have, and know inside out, I would opt for a standard bore, or a 715-730 kit. You already said you need to re-do the cylinders and get new cams.:D

On the other hand, since the case is already in two...a 900 stroker would be a fun Christmas present.:)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much $ do ya think standard bore kit vs. 730 kit vs. 800 kit.... I've looked up BBK prices but am unsure how much $ over the kit price is required for machine work etc. Ed3

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you are going to hone your cylinders yourself, the only difference in cost from std. bore vs. a 715-730 is just however much your local machine shop charges to bore them out for the 715-730. somewhere between $30 and $100, depending on who you go to. The kits cost the same, whether its 700cc or 730cc.

Dunno if you have checked out bigkevs yet but he has prices listed on his site. It may help you see the differences in prices on smaller bores vs. bigger bores. Not all builders prices are the same but this will give you a good start.

After Midnight Racing Engine Products - ATV Performance Parts | Big Kev's Performance

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I tried several times, but for some reason got an HTTP internal service error everytime I tried to go to his olnlie store. I'll try again.
What's up with the guys running Brute heads and cylinders? If I got a set of those on e-bay cheap would there be and advantage? Disadvantage?
Thanks Ed3

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm fixing to do a 820 bbk on mine. If you get some bf750 jugs you don't have to use the sleeves when you bore it. So I bought a pair from someone on here to do mine with. They are kinda hard to find though. Took me a while to find some. Going price for some used ones is $150 to $175..

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
heh someones sellin some fst800 pistons with new rings for 135 shipped!

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
How much $ do ya think standard bore kit vs. 730 kit vs. 800 kit.... I've looked up BBK prices but am unsure how much $ over the kit price is required for machine work etc. Ed3
I spoke to Glenn @ AMR on the phone this week about that exact same thing because I was always wondering that myself. He told me that for a 730 kit plus machining & gaskets, most people are around the $1000-$1100 range said & done. If the heads need to be worked on, $350 would cover regrinding all of the valve seats, etc. I can't remember exactly all that would be done to the heads but pretty much a full rebuild of the heads using the existing valves and no porting.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your respones, and as bad as I want an 800 BBK my wife and I just can't justify spending the extra $. It will be a stock re-ring and a garage-hone for my KFX....Hopefully it'll run ok. Ed3

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Big Kev's Online Store

Kev has prices up.

I completely rebuilt mine for about 1200 without aftermarket cams.
It shouldn't be NEAR that much for just a set of pistons/rings/etc.

I paid a shop to do all the work..it was NEW crank, all new bearing, FST715 pistons NEW, all new timing chains and labor and it was around 1200.

If I was you I'd search the for sale (& post wanted ad) for a set of stock bore, 715, 730 builder pistons for cheap. Buy some new rings. Put it together and RIDE IT!

You can always open up the top end for Cams/springs later.

My .02

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
T Dilley...Yea, kinda had the same thought...I was in the middle of my last reply...got distracted, when I came back I sent the reply, then saw the 800 slugs and rings for $135 shipped so I PM'ed the dude.....if I can find a set of BF750 jugs for cheap, I'll do the lower end now...top end later.....I may get 800cc's yet.;) Ed3

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If your stock piston rings are seized in their groove I highly recommend you bore it out to at least the next size (83mm, or 715cc).

After you hone those babies enough to take out those grooves you are going to be too large for a stock size and you'll get some crazy oil blow-by, if it's as bad as you're saying. If it's not as bad as I am thinking then good luck to ya.

Just my .02

Don't take the chance and have to do it twice for twice as much money, plus you can add some good HP while you're at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts