Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Tiffany's dad died Febuary 13, 2007 we had let the permit expire to let us build the garage. We have decided to get in contact with a builder instead of me doing this myself and getting friends to help. We are doing a 24x40 to keep it under 1,000 square feet because you get into more permits and different zoning crap that we don't want to get into because of expense's. So to get extra area we are doing the 24x40 with 14' ceilings then a 16'' floor joist and then a 8' ceiling upstairs. So this will be a 2 story garage. 14' downstairs and 8' upstairs.

The UPDATE so after a few months trying to get the permits and get everything straightened out we have finally got everything done and the contractor should be starting within the next couple of weeks with pictures just about step of the way!!!

O yeah we will have 3 garage doors in the front and 1 on the side so if I have 3 cars in the garage I won't have to pull one out to get my 4 wheelers out. Upstairs will be like a play room with maybe a pool table some day. Definately a big T.V., playstation and o yeah my wife has to have a place to do scrap booking!!!

P.S. Pictures will be coming in weeks as soon as we break a little ground!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Sounds nice. Just one question: since you are going to have 3 doors across the front, I take it that your garage is going to be 40 feet wide and 24 feet deep.
Why are you building it with 14 foot ceilings if you only have 24 foot deep bays?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully a lift or two

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
That sounds real nice..
I hope to build one in the next year or two,right now I'm a few weeks away from breaking ground on a new home in the Poconos.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
mines weather tight now and its 24x40 too it uses 2 doors its got one side for a paint booth and the other for a lift were using it as a father son garage... im a mechanic and my father is an autobody mechanic

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
I finished my garage two years ago, and am loving it. 30' wide x 36' deep, 2 stories. 9.5' ceiling in the lower level. I would have liked to have a hoist too, but didn't want to lose the upstairs space.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say drywall and the guy doing everything is right at $50k

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually the building went to codes and they didn't like some stuff. So we sent the plans to an architect and they sent them back to codes only to have to have sent back to the architect and codes should have looked at it on friday. Will find out later this week what is going on.... Man o day I want this up before winter and Xmas party is in the house instead of the garage.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
With 14' side walls plus an upper load bearing floor they might require you to used engineered studs which can be quite spendy. Check on using attic trusses instead.

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
With 14' side walls plus an upper load bearing floor they might require you to used engineered studs which can be quite spendy. Check on using attic trusses instead.
You're right; 14' is a heck of a wall. There's probably going to be some engineer designed bracing involved.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I just love the inspections / code inforcement dept. :pissed:

you pay licenced architect that has gone to school for load bearing and structural desgn. To design a building just to have the local gov't tell you it can't be done. They told me I could not build my garage because it was too tall. "It could not be taller then any other man made structure. Yet there is a 50 foot tall water tower in eye sight.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New updates:

Working starting tomorrow. I'm ready to break some ground this. I think I have the right equipment to do that kind of work!!! I had my work drop off a Cat 426C backhoe. That's what you see in the first picture and the second picture is where the garage is going to be.

Both pictures were taken today within about 5 minutes of each other. See how the snow layed on the grass but not on the dirt and stones.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Skip,

My big garage, 24 x 40 with 10" high pressure concrete pad, 10 x 20 overhead door, 14 foot clear first floor, 2 x 6 construction, insulated and drywalled without the second floor was close to 50K 6 years ago.

Ive got water, gas, and a 100Amp separate service and it is NICE! but we used up that 50 real quick. Add central compressor system, heat and a few other goodies and your budget is going to be Tight brother.

The project sounds sweet just watch those $$$ big spender!

later,

Rex II

1 - 17 of 17 Posts