Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So Im having a problem with my brute and its really pissing me off. Seems like every time I take it through a little mud, the radiator fins get clogged up and the sucker starts to overheat and I'm done for the day. I have taken the plastic side pieces off to help the mud drain off and not trap it but nothing seems to help. I was out riding this weekend and after going through a mud hole about 25 min later the temp light kicked on and the coolant was burning up and I had to head home. I have read that this is a common problem with liquid cooled engines, but does anyone know how to fix it. I have thought about building some kind of box to divert the mud away but not for sure if that would help. I mean what's the point of buying a big c.c. bike when you can't take it through a little mud? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as this problem has happened many of times and really ticks me off when I have to head home early.:pissed::pissed::pissed:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is your fan turning on?
Did you clean the radiator real good after your last ride?You have to clean the front and back really good or this will happen.Just run the hose on each side for a few minutes and watch the mud flow out.Be sure to get the bottom corners on the back side real good.They seem to hold mud.
If you plan on dooing alot of mud riding,alot of people mount the radiator on the front rack and never have any issues after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea the fan is kicking on and off when it should be. After every ride I take it to the local car wash and spray out it out until there is nothing but clear water running through. I have seen peoples pictures of the rack mounted radiators but I really cant afford to loose my front rack because my rear rack has a seat bolted down to it. If i was to mount it to the front I would not have to room for gas or coolers. I have thought about installing a manual switch for the fan that way I can keep it running all the time but not real thrilled about monkeying with the electronics on the bike and screwing something up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After every ride I take it to the local car wash and spray out it out
I would be very careful cleaning the radiators out with a power washer, a strong stream directly from the hose is generally enough. I have seen more then one rad ruined by too much pressure bending over the fins, once that is done the rad never works good again no matter how clean you get it. If you have used the pressure washer on yours you should get your head in there and have a good look at the fins and see if they are bent over....can you see light through it when it is cleaned?

If everything is good with the radiator I have heard good results from the TRP ultimate water pump....

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
It's overheating easier than it should. Stick your head in behind the radiator so you can see through the fins. You will probably find they are blocked with mud, or the fins are bent.
Make sure the thermostat, pump, fan, etc, are all working.
I assume the fan is running when the temp light comes on?

·
Registered
363 Posts
you could just have an air bubble in the radiator somewhere. these things overheat real easily if you dont have enough coolant running through them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ya those TRP ultimate water pump impeller works really well in the Teryx, so it should in the Brute Force.
The Dasa one will probably work just as good too.
They are really easy to install by the looks of it!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
one good way to check the radiator is to hold a trouble light or some other type of light on one side of it and see it you can see the light on the opposite side. you should be able to see it with little to no restrictions. if you have had the cooling system open for any reason there could quite possibly be an air pocket in it and be air locked. i would personally start with the radiator.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The air bubbles are a pain in the arse!!! Just because the overflow is full does not mean the radiator is. I have had issues with this on mine. Pull the front plastic so that you can reach the radiator cap and crank it up and let it run with the cap off, fill with water-water wetter-antifreeze-whatever, then start squeezing the radiator hoses to force any air out bubbles out of the radiator, etc. Running the motor up and down in rpms will help move the water.

Also make sure the radiator is clean from BOTH sides not just the front. Most mud needs to be pushed out from the back to the front. If you push it in from the front you back it in not clean it out. I have found that spray aluminum cleaner (acid) helps move the stuck stuff very well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you're going to mud seriously, then it's better to relocate the radiator to your front rack. It works really great and keeps the radiator clean.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a 650 brute sra and i went mudding today and it overheated and all of the coolant pissed out of the bottom it looked like the radiator was all clogged up but is that right for the coolant of leak out if it gets too hot i dont know if there is some sort of overflow breather tube that would make this happen i just want to know if that can happen thanks for any reply.

·
Registered
32 Posts
are you sure your fan is working correctly? i have a 05 brute 650 sra, and had overheating problems, what i found was that i had the buss connector problems(corrosion in the connector) from + and - wires in the same connector getting wet(electrolisis), from the back of your brute look at the right side on frame, there should be 2 buss connectors, take them apart and see if you have corrosion in connector, if you do there is your problem, clean your corrosion with battery terminal cleaner, i also used sand paper, be careful not to break pins though, fill buss connector with dilectric grease, hope this helps as it fixed my problem of overheating

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's very simple to add on a fan switch for your quad. Just a couple of wire connectors and a switch also some wires ( I used speaker wires).

·
Registered
32 Posts
these are the connectors where i found my problem, i don't know if the 05 650 sra and the 06 650 sra are the same, but these connectors are where i had the (electrolisis) corrosion, which made my fan not work properly, hope this helps you or anyone that comes across the post that has the same problem

·
Registered
402 Posts
I installed a Highlifter Radiator this weekend.Used Engine Ice coolant.Made a big difference.It was in the mid to high 80's here in Houston yesterday.I fired up the brute and let it sit and idle.It took 30 min of sitting still for the bike to get hot enough for the fan to kick on.It was an easy install.I highly recommend it for the brute owners.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts