Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a motor swap between my two V's and a 730 build on the motor out of my orange V that will end up being installed in my green V. I decided to paint it while it was out.

First, I'll say that I bought WAY too much paint but it was only $2/can at the local surplus store.

I cleaned the motor with a wire brush on a Dremel, wiped it down with brake cleaner and then painted it with Duplicolor Engine Enamel. One good coat each of primer, Aluminum color paint, and Clear.

Before (I realize it is the other side of the motor but this photo is all I had)

After

As you can see in the pictures, I haven't even changed out the oil filter or the spark plugs yet so they have paint on them. I have a polished stator cover for it but I don't run it in the winter. I don't want to get the road salt on when when I am trailering the quad.

I am hoping that the paint will make it easier to clean the motor when this happens. :lol:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
wow looks great! now you can do mine :p

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Looks nice, hope it is eazy to clean like you hopedB)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! It really wasn't hard considering the other work I have been doing on these things lately.

·
Registered
476 Posts
When you are done with W Pinkerton's I will send you mine..:D

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Looks great.

Is that a BLOWER or SUPER CHARGER sitting on the shelf next to the motor (2nd pic)? If so, you should have installed that in your quad!!!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
That looks great. What's the trick to putting it back in the frame without scratching it all up?

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Looks great.

Is that a BLOWER or SUPER CHARGER sitting on the shelf next to the motor (2nd pic)? If so, you should have installed that in your quad!!!
Looks like a Tunnel Ram with dual 4 barrel Holleys and a Mr. Gasket scoop on it. :D

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Yep, it looks great.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Im going to paint my engine flat black whbile i have it apart, do you think the paint will chip and flake around the bolts if you ever take any of them out, that was my concern with painting with the engine together, also does that paint cure well without heat? some engine paint that I have used in the past will almost rub off till its been heated up to cure.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
looks good , let us know how it cleans up after a mud bath ...

·
Registered
680 Posts
If my motor looked like that,i would be scared to drive it anywere and get it dirty:(looks dam good!!!!

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
DAMN That looks great i hope i can get mine to look that good.....

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
are you mobile :D

turned out fricken sweet B)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks great. What's the trick to putting it back in the frame without scratching it all up?
Don't really know yet. As you can see, it is still sitting on the bench. :lol: I may have an answer for you after tomorrow night.

Looks like a Tunnel Ram with dual 4 barrel Holleys and a Mr. Gasket scoop on it. :D
Yeah, I think RPM has it right but I couldn't tell you for sure. I am working on it in a friend's heated garage workshop and that is from the motor in his dad's jet boat.

Im going to paint my engine flat black whbile i have it apart, do you think the paint will chip and flake around the bolts if you ever take any of them out, that was my concern with painting with the engine together, also does that paint cure well without heat? some engine paint that I have used in the past will almost rub off till its been heated up to cure.
I think you may have used high heat (1200*) paint or something. That stuff usually needs heat to cure. This seems just like regular paint just that it can take 500* temps.

are you mobile :D

turned out fricken sweet B)
:lol: ANYTHING can be done for the right price!!! :D

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks Nice!!!
Yes it will clean much easier now that it is painted... I have done several engines like that and the paint seems to hold up really well... Even after pit racing mine in texas with their red clay , my engine cleaned good as new... Just spray a little degreaser on it and rinse off and it will pull the mud film right off with no staining...

As long as you let the engine dry and cure for a good 24hrs before putting it back in the frame you shouldn't have any trouble with scratching it..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts