Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1987 tecate 4 and what i need is the sprocket that goes on the kips system, it is white and made out of plastic and mine is chewed up some but kawie don't make them anymore, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Its a common problem, mine is the same. Contact Rockhound, I know he has some if not Dave Roberts can get them made out of nylon or aluminum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help how can i get ahold of dave roberts, i'm new at this so i'm still learning on how this site works, is rockhound have a number i can call thanks for the help

·
Registered
780 Posts
thanks for the help how can i get ahold of dave roberts, i'm new at this so i'm still learning on how this site works, is rockhound have a number i can call thanks for the help
Dave: [email protected]

Mikey: 360-910-2500

Be patient. These guys have lives outside of Tecates and get contacted very frequently. Sorting through 100 emails and voicemails a day to find the one meaningful one can be a challenge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys rockhound hooked me up with the gear i have been looking for almost 1 month now and you guys helped me find it in 1 day, you guys really rock and now i am on this website alot thanks again.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Thanks guys rockhound hooked me up with the gear i have been looking for almost 1 month now and you guys helped me find it in 1 day, you guys really rock and now i am on this website alot thanks again.

Great people on here. You can always get what you need here. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
What part is this exactly ?

I have 1987 tecate 4 and what i need is the sprocket that goes on the kips system, it is white and made out of plastic and mine is chewed up some but kawie don't make them anymore, any help would be appreciated.
I am just curious as to what this rear part is. If it something I can reproduce, great.
But first i need to know what the heck it is so I can go dig thru my buddys box of T-4 engine parts to see what condition his is in.
Any parts links or what ever is appreciated.
Is this gear also in the 86/87 b-2 tecate 3 wheelers ?

Thanks, john

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am just curious as to what this rear part is. If it something I can reproduce, great.
But first i need to know what the heck it is so I can go dig thru my buddys box of T-4 engine parts to see what condition his is in.

Thanks, john
Hey John, In my experience it's most often referred to as the governor gear so if your asking your buddy that's the lingo he'll likely pick up on. If you're buddy has it in his box of parts it'll be easy to identify because it'll be the only gear made from a polymer rather than a metal. Looks like any other cog.

Don't know for sure if the T3 used the same one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great !

Thanks, john
Hey John, In my experience it's most often referred to as the governor gear so if your asking your buddy that's the lingo he'll likely pick up on. If you're buddy has it in his box of parts it'll be easy to identify because it'll be the only gear made from a polymer rather than a metal. Looks like any other cog.

Don't know for sure if the T3 used the same one.
Thank you Senator.

john

·
Registered
360 Posts
I believe the 86-87 tecate 3 had power valves. I dont think the 84-85 t3 had a power valve setup. It would be nice to get these gears made up. I know other guys have attempted to get these made up and nothing came through. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The 86-87 T3 and 87-88 T4 all had power valves. Only one thing the gear only fits the 87-88 T4 the T3 used a completly different power actuator system. I talked with Dave Roberts a few months ago and he told me he has a guy that makes those gears for him. So I know it can be done. I will have to do alittle more research but I think I can make a KDX200 gear work. Alot of the small peices are the same for several models.

·
Registered
272 Posts
its in the clutch cover

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes Part # 59051-1183 to be exact. Its just a nylon gear and way to soft. If it were made from somthing like a urethane or composite may be stronger. I know Dave told me he could have them made in aluminum. Either way there still is no known replacement right now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Should not be a problem to make

From what I see of it, looks rather easy to make.
I will need yourS rockhound. My fella up town finally got a offer he wanted to hear so that parts machine is no longer just rotting away in the weeds.

I will pm you my mailing info rockhound.

john

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is awesome. Thanks jeswinehart for your past and future contributions. And, as always, thanks Mikey for allowing your parts warehouse to be everyone's general supply rack.

Have we thought about what strength, density, etc. might be ideal for the first batch of these? It seems like Kawie probably made them weak by design. My thought would be that they did so in order to make it the weak link in the system so when a failure does occur, it occurs there. By strengthening it too much, we would necessarily transfer the weak link to the next weakest part in the system right? Just thinking out loud here. Would weight of the cog be a factor?

·
Registered
86 Posts
since were talking about parts, i read somehwre on the other threads that because the shift shaft and the shifter arm itself is junk (mines stripped and the shaft is bent) wat kinda shifter could i use on it. off a kx bike or trike? maybe a newer quad?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts